Honored Contributor

Re: Phone Interview on Friday

Good luck with your phone interview. HTH. While this will probably (most likely) NOT come up on this initial interview, here are 5 ways to answer "What Are Your Salary Requirements"

1. Give them a range. “For my past few jobs, my pay has been between $40-$50 thousand.”
  1. Do your research on the company’s salary expectations. “Based on my experience, I’m open to discussing (insert a number which you now know is within their margins).
  1. Balance being flexible but firm. “I am open to a discussion on a reasonable compensation package, but my salary recently has been $80,000.”
  1. Ask for a full scope of what they offer. “That depends on factors we have yet to discuss such as benefits. What other non-salary compensation do you offer your employees?”
  1. Make sure you are clear on your responsibilities to the company. “Before I offer my salary range, can you tell me more about the goals of this position?
"To each their own, in all things".
Regular Contributor

good luck! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Also, hoping this helps, here are 5 great questions to ask the interviewer:

1. What challenges have your recently faced from a client? In your ‘Thank You’ letter, you can address this challenge and give examples on how you would have resolved it.
  1. What impact will I have on the team if I get hired? Asking this questions shows you are thinking about the needs of the team first.
  1. What would make someone really successful in this role? This question lets them know you are serious about becoming a success.
  1. Where do you see the company in the next 10 years? Shows that you are thinking long term.
  1. What is a question you really wanted to ask me, but haven’t yet? This gives the interviewer a chance to bring up any concerns they may have about you and a chance for you to address it.
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm in the same boat.   This new world of interviewing is crazy.

I've done the temporary work.   Those recruiters are young girls (who dress so unprofessionally) and give you jobs that are no where near what you told them you wanted to do.   

I've had a few phone interviews.  I find them easier than face to face because  can surround myself with notes and reminder cards.   I have had interviews face to face most of the time from those phone interviews.

They are asking a lot of behavioral questions now.  They give you scenarios and ask you to tell them how you would handle those situations.   Gone are the days of the obvious weakness response.  I have had more questions that are negative in tone about how I would behave than about what I can do for them.  It's such a game.

I wish you luck.   I know how hard it is and how discouraging it gets.  I fear my background isn't good enough these days to compete with the 25 year olds.    I just want a chance.

Best to you!

Respected Contributor

Many thanks for the helpful tips! 

The recruiter asked me what I was currently making and what the range is for this position. So I won't have to worry too much about salary negotiation. Smiley Happy

What I am worried more about is my nervousness. Though I have to admit that I much better in emails  and on the phone. I am usually very good on the phone.  But I am getting really nervous.

Honored Contributor

@JavaQueen  I would be a nervous wreck if I was facing this interview.  Hope you can settle your nerves and I'm sure you'll do a good job.  Don't forget to write a thank you.  Good luck.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

Prayers up for you @JavaQueen...I'd be nervous, too...perfectly normal.  I'm sure you have plenty to offer this company and much to be proud and confident of.  

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Esteemed Contributor

If you are battling your nerves on the afternoon of the interview, do some deep breathing exercises a few minutes before the call. Good luck! 

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Honored Contributor

Pick your recruiter's brain as much as possible about not only this particular job, but the company as a whole. Your recruiter should know quite a bit about it and wants you to succeed, they receive commission if you get the job, so money in their pocket as well.

Another thing to ask is when a decision will be made on filling the position, that way you know if you have a long or short wait, and if you will hear back from them, either way.

Since it's a phone interview, have lots of notes made and refer to them. You know you are qualified for the position, so do your homework, then relax and have a great interview. Best wishes to you.

Trusted Contributor

@JavaQueen All the best to you. Hope it's the job of your dreams!