Respected Contributor

Pharmacy monopolies - unfair!

All of our Marsh stores are closing their pharmacies (I suspect Marsh stores are struggling here in Indiana with all the competition).  Target's pharmacy is now a CVS and I believe Kroger pharmacies are owned by CVS.  We have four CVS's in our town - no Walgreens.  We are being forced to deal with CVS whom I despise.  I'm not sure who runs Walmart pharmacies or Sam's Club pharmacies - anyone know?  I normally got my meds at Marsh because they were free - now I'll be forced to pay higher prices at CVS - sucks! 

Honored Contributor

Re: Pharmacy monopolies - unfair!

In our town many people have problems with CVS. I use the pharmacy in our local grocery store. They are great. No crowds, individual attention, etc. we also have an independent pharmacy in town, which I understand is a good place also. I would never go to CVS.

Respected Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

In our town many people have problems with CVS. I use the pharmacy in our local grocery store. They are great. No crowds, individual attention, etc. we also have an independent pharmacy in town, which I understand is a good place also. I would never go to CVS.

@proudlyfromNJ - Marsh and Kroger are our local grocery stores.  Don't be surprised if yours isn't taken over by CVS - they seem to be buying everything out so they are in control.  We have an independent pharmacy - but it is pricy.  I loved being able to get my shopping done and just pick up a prescription at the same tiime.  Hate CVS!  Just like Comcast - we have no choice anymore. 

Esteemed Contributor

That stinks about having to pay for the meds now, when you were getting them for free.

Do you have a wal mart with a pharmacy? I ask because I have seen where they have a large selection of certain meds for $4.00. I don't know if they do that now or not.

I use wal greens. I understnad about being frustrated.

I use to go get my rx's filled at usa drug. I loved that store. They closed down very suddenly. I never did figure out what happened.

Honored Contributor

Walmart owns Sam's Club pharmacies. Walmart owns Walmart.

Respected Contributor

We have a CVS on practically every corner. Very convenient but I will never again use any of them. The pharmacy employees are rude and slow in all of them. I don't know who staffs the Walmart and Sam's Club pharmacies. They are very popular here and the wait time is long. 

Respected Contributor

My supermarket, a local chain, does a very good job with prescriptions and still seems to be independent. They do flu and shingles shots, and they also have a long list of meds you can get for $4/month or $10 for 3 months if your scrip is written that way by the prescriber. They include some very popular meds, like Metformin and hypertension meds (all generic, of course).

We have a CVS, but I ran into problems with a couple of Rxs, and their follow-up when there were insurer issues was very poor. I've had great CS from them in other respects, but wouldn't bring them my prescriptions.

Walmart was a disaster for me when I was getting chemo meds for my cat there. Appalling "service," misrepresented stock availability, and didn't contact me about their inability to fill an Rx that had to be taken on schedule. I'd never use them, but I know many people do, happily.

Esteemed Contributor

I, too, will NEVER use CVS pharmacy.

They betrayed my trust and my dad's trust when they flat out LIED to my dad's doctor when they made a mistake with his medicine, when he had walking pneumonia.

I sent a certified letter to the president of CVS pharmacy, detailing what had happened, and at how I was most unhappy (livid is more like it).

I never heard back.

We now get our medicine from Costco.

Honored Contributor

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ - Marsh and Kroger are our local grocery stores.  Don't be surprised if yours isn't taken over by CVS - they seem to be buying everything out so they are in control.  We have an independent pharmacy - but it is pricy.  I loved being able to get my shopping done and just pick up a prescription at the same tiime.  Hate CVS!  Just like Comcast - we have no choice anymore. 

Our local is Shop-rite. Haven't heard anything, but you never know. CVS is right across the street. Hope they don't take over. They would have to expand the store as the pharmacy is the size of a walk in closet!

Esteemed Contributor

Our local pharmacy closed quite a while ago when they sold to Walgreen's.  I switched to Walmart and have been very pleased.  It is easy to get your prescriptions filled and the prices are very reasonable.  I have two prescriptions that I will take for the rest of my life and they are $10 each for a 90-day prescription.  

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!