Esteemed Contributor

Re: Pharmacy monopolies - unfair!

[ Edited ]

With our current medical plan I really have limited choices of where we can fill our prescriptions, and Walgreens is practically our only choice.

I have never really had any problems with Walgreens until the last six months, the pharmacists have been questioning the prescriptions that I have been prescribed by my cardioligist and 1 even refused to fill it until I called my cardioligist and had his nurse call and confirm that I needed to continue with the amount I had been prescribed, let us just say that his nurse was not happy!

We do have mail precriptions available to us but you really have to shop for the best prices, the mail order company claims to have the best prices, but that is not so, Walgreens can beat their prices on a few of my prescriptions, so we are constantly price comparing.

Even health care is not what it used to be, when you worked full-time with a large company in the past it was a given you could receive quality health care at reasonable prices, not any more, now companies promote it as a luxury and still sock it to the employee for the cost, we the little people have no control over the almighty dollar!

Trusted Contributor

If you have a Costco, you can get prescriptions filled without being a member and their prices beat a lot of drug stores.  Only prescriptions can be purchased without a membership.  They keep a record of all your prescriptions and offer counseling on all prescriptions.  We've used them for years and have always been happy with their service. 

Super Contributor

Recently there was a report on the news about a guy in our area having an allergic reaction to something and went into a CVS pharmacy.  The pharmacist used an epipen on him and saved his life.  She saw he was in distress and came to the rescue.  I've always been a Walgreens shopper, but when it comes to prescriptions, it seems that Costco and Walmart have the best prices.  Have you considered using mail order?

Esteemed Contributor

@hoosieroriginal  are there any mail order lor online pharmacies available to you?

Honored Contributor

I have been getting prescriptions filled at Costco for many years.  I have never had any problems.  

Honored Contributor

@hoosieroriginal

I've been a Walmart pharmacy buyer for about 10 years and that probably won't change any time soon.  

I was surprised to read that they are the largest worldwide retailer and,  by far,  have the best negotiating power for purchasing drugs for dispensing in their pharmacies.   That convinced me to change pharmacies.

(Here's a real shocker:   As of January 31, 2017, Walmart had 11,695 stores and clubs in 28 countries, under a total of 63 banners.  The company operates under the name Walmart in the United States and Canada.)

I also recently learned that Humana now has a prescription drug plan that is called the Humana Walmart Rx Plan, and the prices are supposed to be outstanding.   Don't know any other specifics.

So ..... see what you can do about getting yours from a Walmart or through mail order.    If not, IMO, Costco will be a good second choice.

Respected Contributor

@Carolm wrote:

Recently there was a report on the news about a guy in our area having an allergic reaction to something and went into a CVS pharmacy.  The pharmacist used an epipen on him and saved his life.  She saw he was in distress and came to the rescue.  I've always been a Walgreens shopper, but when it comes to prescriptions, it seems that Costco and Walmart have the best prices.  Have you considered using mail order?

I don't know what steps a pharmacist is at liberty to take to assist a person in distress so I'm not challenging this. I would think a pharmacist would call 911 and be ready to perform CPR. I'm glad it turned out okay.

Honored Contributor

We have to use Walgreens because we snowbird between small town Florida and tiny town Pa. In the tiny little Pa town the only pharm is Walgreens.We have no issues with the one in our home town, but the one in Pa is a constant problem after problem.I give them a Rx for 90 pills and they say they can only give me 10 - so every 10 days I'm there trying to get them to fill the remainder of my 90. And I'm only talking about BP meds here - very common BP med - lopressor or the allopurinol for my gout. Geez louise - every 10 days have to go into town to the drug store is a real pain in the neck. 

Honored Contributor

Every 10 days?   That's crazy.

Can your doctor load you up on samples?

That would really cramp my style for sure.

@151949 wrote:

We have to use Walgreens because we snowbird between small town Florida and tiny town Pa. In the tiny little Pa town the only pharm is Walgreens.We have no issues with the one in our home town, but the one in Pa is a constant problem after problem.I give them a Rx for 90 pills and they say they can only give me 10 - so every 10 days I'm there trying to get them to fill the remainder of my 90. And I'm only talking about BP meds here - very common BP med - lopressor or the allopurinol for my gout. Geez louise - every 10 days have to go into town to the drug store is a real pain in the neck. 

Honored Contributor

I don't take any meds on a regular basis, but my late husband had tons of meds.   We have many Health Mart Pharmacies around here, I think they are all over the US.   In my community there are twin brothers who are pharmacists.   One works in the drug store and the other is the hospital pharmacist, which is about 4 miles away.     Anyone can  use a hospital pharmacy, if you have one that's fairly convenient.   Back in the day before 24 hours drug stores, we could always get a scrip filled at the hospital pharmacy on Sunday or at night, there's a pharmacist on duty 24/7.

Reading all these posts makes me glad I don't have those challenges.