Not applicable

I am new to posting here so I hope I have the right forum.

OK, I am putting this out there in the hopes someone here has had experience with this disease in dogs.

I believe my (not quite 2 year old) Shih-Tzu has Chiari Malformation (Syringomyelia). It's a neurological disease. Although it's prevalent in King Cavelier Spaniels other breeds can have it too. (I've suggested this disease to my vet as early as January but he doesn't have any experience with it and didn't think that was the problem.)

Last week I took Emily to the vet for x-rays since she is sensitive especially in the jaw area (and does sometimes display symptoms of Chiari). I was hoping it was something as simple as a problem with her teeth or an abscess , etc...but the x-rays showed nothing. The x-rays were read by an expert and he didn't find anything either. My vet suggested that she has a neurological problem. It has been suggested that she have a cortisone injection first and if that doesn't help......I should take her to Cornell for a neurological evaluation. I know what that means.....a $2000+ MRI

Has anyone here had experience with Chiari and/or the symptoms of Chiari. (Ironically, there is a human version of this disease and currently my 14 year old niece has it and is having surgery in Toronto in 2 weeks. )