Honored Contributor

I debated whether to post this, but I've been posting here a long, long time and I'm usually pretty open.  And most of you are aware that my husband has been ill with Parkinson's and mildish dementia. He also has a few other issues. 

Well,  my husband is very ill.  He is in the hospital.  In the middle of a pandemic. And I had to walk away from him in the emergency room early Tuesday afternoon. And that right there just about killed me. I don't want to hear stories about being upset that one can't get their hair cut, or go on "vacay" or get a "mani/pedi" (I am so not a fan of slang). Try walking away from a sick, scared confused spouse.  I think that rule is intentionally cruel. 

Anyway,  I could go on about the details for days, but he started a new medicine Friday morning. He took it for 3 days. On Sunday, I began to suspect that he wasn't right. But we got through the day.  We got absolutely no sleep Sunday night. None. 

On Monday, he seemed better but I did not give him the medicine (which was totally ok). Monday night was a horror. He was very agitated, couldn't sleep, had bathroom difficulties.  I checked his blood pressure and it was very high. So I called 911 and they came and checked it and it was fine.

Then, suspecting a UTI, I called his doctor in the middle of the night and asked if it would be ok to give him an antibiotic that I had on hand.  She said yes, so I started him on that. Absolutely no sleep again. 

I took him to the ER very early Tuesday morning.  I sat in my car in the parking lot while they examined him.  I won't go into all the details, but after 3 hours we went home.  They said no UTI.

We got home and he immediately had problems, he was bleeding, and I called the ER and we went immediately back.  This time, they brought me into a little room with him.  2 nurses, the doctor and the care manager or something like that.  I completely broke down. Anyway, they admitted him.

Since then, he has become increasingly worse.  Completely altered, you can't understand what he's saying.  So they are still trying to determine if this is ALL from a reaction to the medication (which should be just about totally out of his system by now. I had been told 4-5 days for it to completely leave the body) or if the medication made an unknown underlying problem worse.  

I am scared to death.  Chest x ray was normal.  They did a brain ct scan yesterday but they haven't called me with the results yet. They are giving him IV nutrients only, in case he needs to be operated on, for who knows what. 

The main issue, which got us in there, was with the bladder/urinary tract.  Things just aren't working correctly.

The only glimmer of good news is that the hosptials are relaxing their visitor rules.  Effective tomorrow, one visitor can go in.  Why in Gods name they have to wait two days after announcing it yesterday is beyond me but I  should be able to get in there tomorrow.

In the middle of a pandemic.  

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

Unceasingly praying for you and your dear husband.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

I am so sorry for what you're going through.  I can't imagine coping with all that is happening with your husband.  And I do think it's unfair you can't be with him.  Anyway, you are both in my prayers.  Take care of yourself.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Personal news

[ Edited ]

I am so sorry to read that your husband and you are going through this ordeal. I am praying for both of you. PLEASE take care of yourself (I know it is hard, but you need to stay strong and healthy). And please continue to let us know how you both are doing. Sending you big supportive HUGS.

New Contributor

My prayers & thoughts are with you. Have faith, stay positive things will work out.

Respected Contributor

@gidgetgh I am so sorry your husband...and yourself....are going through this.  Words are inadequate, but you both have my prayers.  🙏

Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh  I'm very sorry your husband is so ill and in the hospital and you can't be with him.  I'm sure that's not easy.

I hope they can figure out what's going on with him soon. 

Respected Contributor

I am so very sorry. It is just brutal. Horrible for him & so awful for you feeling so helpless.

Please, know that we are sending you both all of the strength & healing vibes that we can.

Valued Contributor

I'm so sorry, @gidgetgh.  You, your husband, and his doctors are in my prayers. I hope that you are somehow able to get some sleep, even if it's just a nap. 

Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh, for you and DH:

Sending Love Light and prayers.jpeg

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.