Respected Contributor

Re: People using their own cups/thermal mugs at Starbucks and cleanliness

On 3/20/2015 Topaz Gem said:

If you're a germaphobe you notice these things, but realistically, our bodies are designed to put up with common, every day bacteria. Many doctors theorize that we're beginning to live in a too-clean environment which is why so many food allergies are cropping up. I grew up in the time where everyone used phone booths, public drinking fountains, etc., and there were no antibacterial wipes. No one ever got sick and there were no kids in my town that had peanut allergies and other allergies that are common today.

Be clean, but within reason. A too-sterile environment will actually do harm to your body in the long run.

I've read this very thing too, Topaz, we're making ourselves weaker with all the germaphobism.

••• Please adopt don't shop ••• Save a life adopt a pet •••
Respected Contributor

sorry keep getting D/p

Honored Contributor

Too many flu and other viruses out there during certain times of the year. 'Some' coffee shops' coffee are 'way too strong' for me, anyway. (Too much of a 'buzz', for me, anyway.)

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

On 3/20/2015 SoftRaindrops said: Yes, I think you are on to something. Anyone with a compromised immune system has to be vigilant. I know this because yesterday I went to a new deli that was highly recommended to me and I was up all night with food poisoning.. I envy those that don't have these issues and could have eaten the exact same salad and been fine with it.

I'm sorry you were sick.Smiley Sad

Respected Contributor

On 3/20/2015 newziesuzie said:
On 3/20/2015 SoftRaindrops said: Yes, I think you are on to something. Anyone with a compromised immune system has to be vigilant. I know this because yesterday I went to a new deli that was highly recommended to me and I was up all night with food poisoning.. I envy those that don't have these issues and could have eaten the exact same salad and been fine with it.

I'm sorry you were sick.Smiley Sad

Thanks, Newziesuzie.Smile

Honored Contributor

How's this hypothesis:

The temperature of the Starbucks fluid (coffee/tea/milk) is 150-160 degrees when poured into cup. To steam sterilize equipment in an autoclave, it's 120 degrees, under pressure, for 20 minutes. Washing hands in the sink, under the tap, is 100-104 degrees.

If the reusable cup had cold-germs on it, there a greater chance the 'dirty' cup would be sterilized by the temp of Starbucks coffee versus hand-washing the cup in the sink @ home.

Esteemed Contributor

If this bothers you then please do not touch menus at restaurants, handles for any doors, don't flush a public toilet with your hands, touch elevator buttons, handrails or counters in public. These all test positive for fecal matter regularly. The world is imperfect. If people can stay alive eating street food in India, I think people who eat at Starbucks will be just fine.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Super Contributor

On 3/20/2015 sidsmom said:

How's this hypothesis:

The temperature of the Starbucks fluid (coffee/tea/milk) is 150-160 degrees when poured into cup. To steam sterilize equipment in an autoclave, it's 120 degrees, under pressure, for 20 minutes. Washing hands in the sink, under the tap, is 100-104 degrees.

If the reusable cup had cold-germs on it, there a greater chance the 'dirty' cup would be sterilized by the temp of Starbucks coffee versus hand-washing the cup in the sink @ home.

That is not accurate. An steam autoclave sterilizes at 121 degrees Centigrade (249 degrees Fahrenheit).

Some people do drugs. I do shoes....Celine Dion
Esteemed Contributor

On 3/20/2015 Madisson said:
On 3/20/2015 sidsmom said:

How's this hypothesis:

That is not accurate. An steam autoclave sterilizes at 121 degrees Centigrade (249 degrees Fahrenheit).

Yep, I was just going to post this chart.

http://www.sterilizers.com/autoclave-time-temperature-pressure-chart.html

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Respected Contributor

On 3/20/2015 Irshgrl31201 said:

If this bothers you then please do not touch menus at restaurants, handles for any doors, don't flush a public toilet with your hands, touch elevator buttons, handrails or counters in public. These all test positive for fecal matter regularly. The world is imperfect. If people can stay alive eating street food in India, I think people who eat at Starbucks will be just fine.

Great points!Smiley Happy