Honored Contributor

Man, I’m seeing/hearing these Peloton commercials everywhere!

Definitely a 2017 Holiday Gift idea.

The Peloton package is not cheap...$2000 for the bike & $40/month for the online subscription. That’s a nice gym membership with so many other amenities.

When I took my first indoor cycle class in the mid-90s, I thought it was just a fad. Today? I hit my indoor cycling classes 3-4x a week. It’s a form of cardio which really stood the test of time.

Curious...wonder who their marketing demographic would be?  

Can’t be serious cyclists with those silly little weights..!

80668845-F02B-43F1-BE6C-3DE15D870951.jpeg

Honored Contributor

Re: Peloton Commercials

[ Edited ]

I'd be willing to guess their target audience is probably the older Millennials who have established themselves and have incomes, most likely females. I really don't see Boomers investing in this sort of equipment. 

Honored Contributor

I am seriously interested in this bicycle, been bicycling my entire life and especially interested in the inter-active aspect.   I agree, pricey but ..... still interested.  Meanwhile, I'll hit my stationary .... Woman Happy

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I was in a fitness equipment store a few weeks ago and walked by the Peloton display.  I acted excited about it because I had seen the commercials but had never seen one in person.  The fitness guy scrunched up his face, made the thumbs down gesture and grunted.  I wound up with an elliptical that I absolutely love.

Honored Contributor

I have a relative who’s absolutely addicted to Cyclebar. She goes almost every other day, and loves it.  These are all over the country. I’d post a link but since the site is commercial it would probably get poofed. Just google cyclebar and read all about it.

They keep stats, compete with each other, move up in standings. There are different kinds of classes - different workouts, different accompaniements - just music, or music and big screen video. She has remained highly motivated and loves challenging herself and competing with others.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

I have a relative who’s absolutely addicted to Cyclebar. She goes almost every other day, and loves it.  These are all over the country. I’d post a link but since the site is commercial it would probably get poofed. Just google cyclebar and read all about it.

They keep stats, compete with each other, move up in standings. There are different kinds of classes - different workouts, different accompaniements - just music, or music and big screen video. She has remained highly motivated and loves challenging herself and competing with others.

CycleBar, FlyWheel, SoulCycle...throw a stick & you can hit at least one of these places. Smiley Happy Most all indoor cycling programs in a small boutique/large gyms these days will have either the video stats or attached monitor which gives you the RPM, HR, Miles, Watts.  Those metrics do improve the quality of ride.

I’m happy Cycling is still being recognized, but the form & technique I see, especially on these Peloton commercials, is cringe-worthy....bouncing in the seat, RPM way too fast. Cycling is generally a injury-proof activity, but no resistance/high rpm can cause issues with the knees...and a technique makes it so much more enjoyable. No tricks...just simple riding. 

@Moonchilde

Cool your relative enjoys it.  You should join her sometime!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sidsmom, I've seen that ad everywhere...  seems like all the channels, all times of day, during a variety of shows.   I noticed it at first because of Sia’s music.  Your thread made me wonder about it...  I found several articles about their marketing, including this one:

"When Carolyn Tisch Blodgett joined fitness startup Peloton as its brand marketing lead a year-and-a-half ago, the company’s executives were focused on promoting the functionality of their product...

...What they were missing, however, was a compelling brand story about the bike’s convenience and its role in connecting riders around the country, largely through a leaderboard that displays rider data, said Ms. Blodgett...

...Ms. Blodgett also conducted research showing that the company had been targeting a core, affluent audience, but overlooking a less affluent consumer who was willing to splurge on a convenient fitness habit.

Peloton is now shifting gears with a new financing program ($97 per month for 39 months for both the bike and subscription service), an ad campaign that’s more relatable to a diverse consumer base and an NBC Olympics sponsorship. Peloton counts NBCUniversal among its investors, and has raised nearly $450 million in total funding to date.

“We had this idea of a very affluent rider who many of our early adopters were,” she said. “We realized, through conversations with our community, that there was a huge opportunity with people who thought $2,000 was a huge investment but were [buying] it over and over again because the product is so important to them.”

The company also has been partnering with Westin Hotels & Resorts to get its bikes and classes in front of more of its target audience, as well as expanding its showroom footprint across the country. This is all to boost growth ahead of a rumored IPO down the road...

...Since joining the company, Ms.Blodgett said that Peloton has learned a lot about its core consumer.

One surprise in the research, she said, was the “huge urban opportunity,” especially as the boutique fitness class movement in cities -- think SoulCycle and Barry’s Bootcamp -- has given Peloton a boost. “We thought that it skewed more suburban,” she said. The company was also surprised to learn that its consumers weren’t only on the coasts or around major hubs like New York, Los Angeles and Chicago.

“It speaks to the opportunity we have,” said Ms. Blodgett. “We sell a bike to every state every day.”

complete article at:

wsj.com/articles/peloton-shifts-gears-with-more-attainable-marketing-plan-1508959554

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo

Thanks for the article!

Olympic sponsorship.  Ahhhh...now I get why

we’re hearing the promos over&over&over....gearing up. 

Honored Contributor

sidsmom wrote:

@dooBdoo

Thanks for the article!

Olympic sponsorship.  Ahhhh...now I get why

we’re hearing the promos over&over&over....gearing up. 

You're welcome, @sidsmom!   I think the rumored IPO might be significant, too.😉

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

80668845-F02B-43F1-BE6C-3DE15D870951.jpeg

Yeah-like I'll look like that eventually.  Maybe in 50 years; but then again I'll be dead.

ROTFL!

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh