Honored Contributor

I just read a Forbes article about Peloton sales and it said the average age of a person buying their cycles is 48. The article went on to mention that Peloton makes money on their up-sales of their branded workout gear which is high-dollar and people want the total look.

Respected Contributor

I would not purchase this. I know myself too well to think I'd ever maintain a long term relationship with it. 😉  If I'm going to ride a bike for exercise, I'm going to ride outside in a scenic area.

I have a treadmill and an exercise bike. Only use them as a last resort. I'd sooner walk up and down my long driveway (and have many times) for 50 minutes than walk or cycle inside on a machine.

Same with my horse. I dislike riding in the arena or round pen. I do it to work on certain skills but much prefer riding out on the trails.  There's really no comparison. 

Honored Contributor

@Kalli

You bring up a good point...about riding outside.

Every day I hear the siren song of cycling outdoors (💛),

but here in Dallas...it’s not a matter of IF you get hit/injured,

it’s almost a matter of WHEN.  Many cities are not cycle-friendly.

Even the paved trails are iffy.

But buying a high quality road/mountain bike with a trainer,

one could ride indoors -and- outdoors. Like I said upthread, 

there are many online classes for free...you’re just out $-wise

with the equipment. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Peloton Commercials

[ Edited ]

@Kalli

Having taken spin classes in a gym for 7 years before buying my bike, I can tell you a bit about riding.  I also have a road bike and a 26 mile bike trail 5 minutes from my house.

Spinning is totally different than biking outside.  I love both.

What I saw in the gym was (mostly) woman showing up ONE time, overdoing themselves, and NEVER returning.  Their backsides hurt a lot at first, and they simply tried to do too much on their first ride.

Done properly, it is a great workout.  I'm addicted and was from the start.

However, with almost everyone that came and went, I saw the same thing.  You either LOVE it or HATE it.  In all the 7 years I attended, I saw maybe 2 new students come and stay.

The rest were folks that had been spinning for a long time.

It's not for everyone.

I also love walking, but hesitate to go on the trail alone.  When I worked in DC, I walked at least 4 miles a day on my lunch hour.  It was wonderful.  

If and when I can find a walking partner, I'd love to use my trail.

Until then, I will continue to use my spin bike.

Whatever you do, enjoy!

Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee

This made me laugh and I'm certain it is true.  There are always those who want "the look."

However, if they ever saw my getup when I'm spinning, I'm sure their sales would plummit.

I'm normally still in my PJs with my spin shoes on and my hair skinned back. 

Not a pretty sight!

Honored Contributor

Re: Peloton Commercials

[ Edited ]

@Witchy Woman

Yes! I like your viewpoint.

Comparing indoor vs outdoor, I would have to agree, generally speaking, there’s a big difference.  

What makes it different?

MOST indoor cycling instructors are aerobic instructors teaching on a bike.  

What makes it the same?

Again, the instructor.  My favorite cycling instructors throughout the years have been Cat2-3-4 riders who love to share their coaching indoors.  

My biggest influence is someone I follow online...Jennifer Sage of Indoor Cycling Association.  She wrote an ebook, ‘Keeping It Real’...and is a staunch supporter of ‘if you don’t do it outside, don’t do it inside.’  Therefore, 99% of my indoor ride is in the saddle.  And no pushups on the handlebars, no weights, no crazy-high RPM, no ‘jumps’...

I’m sosososo lucky the cycling program at my fitness center has an amazing cycling program.  Many of the instructors are outdoor riders & follow the ‘keeping it real’ type of protocol.  And many of the riders, especially when they migrate indoors due to inclement weather, are outdoor riders, as well.   It really depends on the instructors. 

ETA:

Did you know the word ‘spin’ and ‘spinning’ is trademarked?

Jennifer Sage (mentioned ^^^) is a watchdog for that marketing term.

Esteemed Contributor

@sidsmom

I will have to look up Jennifer Sage.  Admittedly, I'm still a novice even after many years.  The gym I attended taught Mad Dog classes.

One of the MAIN reasons I left the local gym is the monotony of the instruction.  They had the same people doing the same schedules and, while some mixed it up, there were a few who annoyed the heck out of me using the same music over and over and OVER!

Add to that the instructors who were screamers and I got burned out over the years.  The best instructors were the ones who just gave inspiration and instruction in a normal or slightly elevated voice.  Not screeching at the top of their lungs.

Music/classes got so loud that I had to wear ear plugs to keep my ears from ringing afterwards!

Granted, they were nice women, but if you are an instructor, I expect more.  I think they just got stuck in a rut and had no reason to change when there were only a handful of regulars -- 10 bikes and rarely a full class.

Sadly, this particular gym treated spinning like the bad stepchild.  Gave lots of floor space to equipment and free lifting AND classes like Zumba and other things that were not for me.  

And, sadly, this gym was the closest to my home.  I know myself well enough to know I don't want to spend 30 minutes on the road every day getting to my spin class.  

Being retired, I still value my time and driving for more than 15 minutes to get to a bike just didn't make sense to me anymore -- especially when I was grinding my teeth the whole time.  That is why I got my own bike.

I download classes from Studio Sweat now and then.  I've gotten myself in a rut and need to branch out!

Anyway, didn't mean to go on and on.  I remember asking you for kettlebell experience a long time ago and you were most generous with your time.  I decided it was not for me, mostly, again, because the instructors were disappointing.

What I REALLY need is a workout partner like you Cat LOL

Honored Contributor

I would love to ride with you!  

I’ll save-ya a seat!  Hee

I have a couple ideas for online-real-time classes (Youtube):

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzkLeinP55F38WYr_rv3-gHfMtBMLAr4g

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLhX4qGpWXV9vEhc8BsKpttZ-JQ0gcAIc8

There are some days I go upstairs of my gym & cycle by myself. 

I pop on a video from the 2nd link mentioned ^^.

Very pretty to watch & the music is easy to listen.  

Do you train by heart rate?  Or by watts?

If so, I have suggestions! 

You know, if I had a bike at home, I would roll it outside on the patio

and get some VitD while sweating!  

Respected Contributor

@Witchy Woman@sidsmom, I think I came across in a way that was not intended. If I sounded judgmental that wasn't my goal.  Apologies if it seemed that way.  

I wish I would love my exercise bike and treadmill but I just lose all interest within a few minutes and have to force myself to keep going.  And I check my watch every few minutes in the hope that more time went by than is logical, if you know what I mean. 

I'm better off fast-walking outside, even when it's very cold.  I'm happier and the time seems to go by faster.  I do work with the weight machines 3x a week at the local YMCA but only do 3 sets of 15 reps for each activity so I keep moving. I think I have a short attention span and that's why going from one machine to another works for me!😉🤣

Honored Contributor

@Kalli

You’re cool!

I know inside work isn’t for everyone. You are blessed you live in an area which allows you to go outside without concern (jealous)..!

And you have horses?

I’m here eatin’ my big ‘ole ‘Jelly Sandwich’!!  (uber jealous!)

You are sosososo lucky! I would just live at the stable. Ha

🌼🐴🌼