Honored Contributor

Last year I switched from express scripts to aetna/silver scripts. ES increased dramatically from about $22 to $67. Switched to Aetna and currently I pay $7.30. For 2023 I've been notified already it's decreasing to $5.10 or so. I also do not do mail order instead I pick up every 90 days at my very close cvs. I only take 2 tier 1 drugs so I'm lucky in this regard.

Esteemed Contributor

@Trailrun23 

" Rosuvastatin (Crestor) is available as a generic medication and may be significantly cheaper compared to the brand version."

BCBS will pay for generic version

Esteemed Contributor

@gidgetgh : We both were covered by our career employer, the Federal government ( fun fact we both retired the same day with nearly identical incomes and hence same SS).  We have government BCBS as our supplement, period.  Except for not having dental everything else is covered   Even though DH has many medical challenges we very seldom have any copay for meds (occasionally $5-$10).  Before we retired, we set up an appointment with the former head of our city's SS office, who went over our plans for SS ( so I'm sure we made all the optimum elections).  

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Part D shock!

[ Edited ]

I know very little about part D but I am suspicious of the tiers, especially in lower priced part D offerings.  It looks like so many drugs are tier 3 and higher.  

Honored Contributor

Unfortunately, we all have to have a drug plan as mandated by the Gov.

They have never paid nothing on my 2-3 pills I take. Like throwing money down the drain every month, but, if you don't have one to satisfy the Gov they slap it to you.

Trusted Contributor

@PINKdogWOOD wrote:

Last year I switched from express scripts to aetna/silver scripts. ES increased dramatically from about $22 to $67. Switched to Aetna and currently I pay $7.30. For 2023 I've been notified already it's decreasing to $5.10 or so. I also do not do mail order instead I pick up every 90 days at my very close cvs. I only take 2 tier 1 drugs so I'm lucky in this regard.

@PINKdogWOOD  That is the same plan I have and amount that I pay. I take only (fingers crossed that it stays that way), one tier 1 drug. I did get a one time script for a painkiller a couple of months ago that cost about $15 out of pocket. The Aetna plan cost at CVS was still less expensive than if I used  GoodRX or any other savings/discount.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@PINKdogWOOD wrote:

@PINKdogWOOD Aetna is owned by CVS.  CVS owns Express Scripts and Silver Scripts.

corrected to reflect CVS only owns Silver Scripts.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Esteemed Contributor

@gertrudecloset  so CVS owns all 3?

My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness ~ Dalai Lama XIV

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace ~ Jimi Hendrix
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MamaWick wrote:

@gertrudecloset  so CVS owns all 3?

Yes.  CVS Purchased Aetna Medical Company about five years ago.  Indeed!

I might be mistaken about Express Scripts.  It seems Cigna owns that prescription drug company @MamaWick .  So, maybe CVS does not own Express Scripts after all.

However, CVS does own Silver Scripts still:

SilverScript Insurance Company, a CVS Health (NYSE: CVS) company, today announced its new Medicare Prescription Drug Plan (PDP) options for 2019. Medicare beneficiaries in the continental U.S. can choose from three SilverScript plans that offer a $0-deductible in 44 states on all five drug tiers. In addition, the company has added SilverScript Allure, a new PDP option for 2019, which offers an enhanced plan design including low copays on many generic drugs as well as lower out-of-pocket costs on many brand name drugs at both retail and by mail through point-of-sale (POS) rebates.

"In an era of rising drugs costs, our goal is to help keep out-of-pocket costs lower for America's seniors. That is why we want to ensure consumers know they have options, and we are providing enhanced choices to meet their individual needs from both a prescription and financial standpoint," said Todd Meek, President, SilverScript Insurance Company, CVS Health. "For 2019, we have low premiums and continued access to a $0-deductible for drugs on all tiers for the majority of SilverScript plans across the country and have added a new plan design option for those beneficiaries looking for lower out-of-pocket costs at the pharmacy counter on certain brand name medications."

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Esteemed Contributor

I wonder which plan the OP had? Initially I started with United Healthcare part D. However, they really didn't cover anything. I did much, much better with a good RX coupon, and never used the coverage. Hence to say, I paid $30 a month for nothing. I am switching from United healthcare to Wellcare come January.