Respected Contributor

Just saw on the news that. many GenZ-ers are now taking a parent with them to job interviews. I find this ridiiculous!

Would you ever hire an applicant if they brought their mommy or daddy with them? 

Gen Z seems to be more helpless than I first imagined.

Honored Contributor

Re: Parents to job interviews?

@Trailrun23 wrote:

Just saw on the news that. many GenZ-ers are now taking a parent with them to job interviews. I find this ridiiculous!

Would you ever hire an applicant if they brought their mommy or daddy with them? 

Gen Z seems to be more helpless than I first imagined.

I highly doubt Gen Z, as a whole, are bringing their parents to job interviews. Both my children have jobs that require their hiring and neither have ever had this happen. The media loves denigrating youth in America. A few outliers may bring mom and dad but I don't judge an entire generation of kids by a few. It would be like saying baby boomers were all hippies, smoking weed and living in their parents basement.😳

Honored Contributor

There was a thread about this a month or so ago and I could not believe this is happening.  Parents not just driving them but actually wanting to sit with them.  Shocked the heck out of me.  What are these adult/children going to do when mama and daddy pass on? 

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

The survey under discussion reported 25% of Gen Z respondents brought a parent to an interview.  It doesn't indicate if they merely sat in a waiting room or actually sat in!   

As a manager, I would not view positively an applicant who needed the presence of a parent. 

Doesn't seem like much of an actually scientific review:

In April, ResumeTemplates.com surveyed 1,428 U.S. based Gen Zers (ages 18 to 27) who looked for a job within the past year to understand how much they rely on their parents when job searching.

Study highlights:

• 70% of Gen Zers ask their parents for help in the job search process
  • Of those who found a job, 83% credit success to parents
  • 25% of Gen Zers brought their parents to interviews
  • 16% say their parents submitted job applications for them
  • 1 in 10 had their parents write their resume
Honored Contributor

We had one that not only came, but demanded to see our company financials to understand how his daughter's paycheck would be calculated. 

She never got one since she was never hired. 

Honored Contributor

Maybe high schools / maybe even colleges should offer required classes re: Job Interviews, Resume Preparation, and how to fill out Employment Applications.  

Not being sarcastic, just a suggestion.  

I recall learning those things in a high school business class.

Oh, even learning how to fill out our Income Tax forms, which I continued to do myself for many, many years.  

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

@Commoner Exec Mr Wilkes wrote:

The survey under discussion reported 25% of Gen Z respondents brought a parent to an interview.  It doesn't indicate if they merely sat in a waiting room or actually sat in!   

As a manager, I would not view positively an applicant who needed the presence of a parent. 

Doesn't seem like much of an actually scientific review:

In April, ResumeTemplates.com surveyed 1,428 U.S. based Gen Zers (ages 18 to 27) who looked for a job within the past year to understand how much they rely on their parents when job searching.

Study highlights:

• 70% of Gen Zers ask their parents for help in the job search process
  • Of those who found a job, 83% credit success to parents
  • 25% of Gen Zers brought their parents to interviews
  • 16% say their parents submitted job applications for them
  • 1 in 10 had their parents write their resume

@Commoner Exec Mr Wilkes 

Based on everything else noted in this study, I think the percentage must have been higher than 1 in 10.   More like 9 out of 10, maybe?  

Valued Contributor

My son is GenZ.  I did drive him to a couple interviews because he was not yet driving.  I also gave him general advice.  I parked the car and went for a walk while he was interviewing.  No one with the company he was interviewing with knew I brought him.  I wouldn't want that for my son. 

@ROMARY  -  The high school my son went to has a mandatory class for sophomores that covers all those things.  The university he went to also had several offerings (not entire classes) about interviewing and resumes.    

Honored Contributor

What is the parent's function while physically present during the interview?

Honored Contributor

Oh, I remember my teacher suggested that we (students) go on as many job interviews as possible.

'Just for practice' (in her words).

She said that, eventually, a good job will be ours.  And that we would be used to being in a job interview and have more confidence, etc.

I even remember her name!

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).