Regular Contributor

You may have already read this, but I read an interesting article about parrots and other birds you might be interested in. Google New York Times and parrots ptsd. I thought it was such an interesting article and I learned a lot.  I know you have a bird and love birds and I thought you might find it interesting too. 

Wish you you a great day.

CH

Honored Contributor

Thank You for that recommendation.  I shall check it out!  Smiley Happy

My guy, who just turned 18 last October, probably doesn't suffer from PTSD.  At least I hope not.  As one who does, I know it's no picnic.

But I do think he may have dealt with some separation anxiety.    We adopted him when he was 5 1/2 years old from somebody who was somewhat of a 'pet collector'.  She would get pets here and there (at least not a bunch at a time, thankfully) because they appealed to her for kind of showy purposes.

Anyway, she got him when he was a baby and somewhere along the line, like all the other pets over the years, he  became an inconvenience.  THEN, they had a human kid and he became a major inconvenience and ended up living in an extra bedroom all by himself.

I've always thought that that affected him to some degree, especially since he has picked up fewer new words in all these years since he came here.   I kind of felt like he didn't want to get as invested as he could.

Anyhoo, long story already too long - Thanks!  Smiley Happy   It is very kind to think of me.

Honored Contributor

Oh wow, the parrots on the front of the article are Eclectus, like mine.  The boys are green and the girls are red and purple, as shown.  Smiley Happy

Regular Contributor

Re: Paging Chickenbutt!

[ Edited ]

Until I read the article, I never thought of birds as being affectionate. I sure learned a lot. They are so beautiful. They seem to live a long time and I find it sad that many outlive their owners.

i wish some people would realize what a commitment animals are....not disposable "things".

CH

Wanted to add that your bird must be a beauty....such pretty colors.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

CharleyHorse wrote:

Until I read the article, I never thought of birds as being affectionate. I sure learned a lot. They are so beautiful. They seem to live a long time and I find it sad that many outlive their owners.

i wish some people would realize what a commitment animals are....not disposable "things".

CH

Oh man (bolded by me), doncha know it!  That is one thing with some humans that REALLY gets in my craw.

I was always against the import and domestication of tropical birds so I never thought I'd have one, as much as I love ALL the birdies!    But I felt like we were kind of rescuing him from somewhat of a neglectful situation.

He loves attention!   He gets lots of 'tummy kisses' from mommy every day.  I'm not sure how much he loves that, but he totally tolerates it!  Smiley Happy  They are so smart.

Regular Contributor

You definately rescued him and he is one lucky guy. Lol on the tummy kisses.

CH

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Re: Paging Chickenbutt!

[ Edited ]

@chickenbutt wrote:

@CharleyHorse wrote:

CH

Oh man (bolded by me), doncha know it!  That is one thing with some humans that REALLY gets in my craw.

I was always against the import and domestication of tropical birds so I never thought I'd have one, as much as I love ALL the birdies!    But I felt like we were kind of rescuing him from somewhat of a neglectful situation.

He loves attention!   He gets lots of 'tummy kisses' from mommy every day.  I'm not sure how much he loves that, but he totally tolerates it!  Smiley Happy  They are so smart.

D'aaawwwwww!  HeartSmiley Happy

(I'd do the same, BTW)