Honored Contributor

I don't like pee pads at all.  It never made sense to have to train a dog twice.  

Set a timer for every two hours and take the puppy outside to the area where your other dogs go.  Use a leash so you know if he/she is actually doing their business or not.

You might have a problem with the pads you already have for your little dog.  The puppy will be drawn to the pads by smell.  

Maybe you can take both dogs out together to break the puppy pad habit.  Always use a leash, never just let the dogs go out alone until they are reliably trained.

Regular Contributor

I beg to differ on the temperment of goldendoodles.  I have an 8 month old mini goldendoodle puppy and she has her "zoomy" moments but she is pretty calm.  She has an AMAZING personality.  She is adorable, smart. and funny.  She is willing to cuddle and just chill with the family.  She loves to go on walks and loves to romp in the yard or the house with other friends' dogs.  She rarely gets into mischief, and loves to chew her toys.  She is a totally love and our family just adores her to pieces.  I do not have experience with multiple dogs in our house, but I just wanted to add my two sense about goldendoodles. Good luck to you!

Esteemed Contributor

YIKES - so unfair to all the dogs - seniors as well as puppy.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: PUPPY QUESTIONS

[ Edited ]

If you are unsure, don't  do it. Resentment may show up somewhere.

But on the other hand, because I couldn't stand not having a dog in my life,I adopted a pup a week after my old beloved Corgi went to RB. I  did not love the dog at all and tried to get my son and DIL to take it away fast..........

They were going away to a weekend wedding and would not be back untill Monday and said they would take him then. By monday I had changed my mind and wanted to keep him.

It took  me a whole year to love this little one ,but it did happen. Everytime my groomer would come ,I would tell her ,I didn't love this dog yet and she would smile and say thats ok,I understand........... he did keep me very busy and my mind off my grief.If ever  I found myself saying a loving sweet pet "thingy" I said to my Corgi,I would repremand myself.....

Finally one day I realized ,I do love him and now at 5 yrs old, he rules my heart and my life .We are inseperable.

Having all those animals and keeping them all well fed and happy will be a lot of work and take a whole lot of patience ...........have you thought of that?.

But like I said,you may be biteing off more than you asked for ,so, like my mom always said.......  "If in doubt,turn about"

Hope this helps.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I pet sit for a labradoodle, and he is the calmest dog I have as a fur-client. He is a joy to take care of.  I care for many cats and dogs and foster orphaned kittens and puppies.

Each puppy or adult dog will have their own personality.

If you can select one of the puppies that you would like to adopt, rather than the breeder pre-selecting a puppy for you, that is a good idea.  If that is possible, do a few "temperament" tests. I have found the best one is to attempt to lay the puppy on his back, if he has no problem with it, then he is more likely to be "laid back" and easier to train. Also see if he makes eye contact, or seems "forward leaning" like he would "charge", that would be an indication he might be a little aggressive. (I am not sure if I have worded that one to make "sense". )  A shy puppy that backs away is also an indication of a problem too.

If you can bring your older dogs to the breeder to see if they have a "good" chemistry, that also would be a good idea.

I have 6 rescue cats, and right now just one dog, an Irish Wolfhound. The wolfhound is young, and playful. I have a 17 year old cat, that puts the wolfhound in her place. The cat steals the dog bed, and pretty much rules the roost. The other cats don't give a darn about the dog, and the dog finds them "interesting". The other 5 cats are 14 years old.

As for the potty training issue: The pads you have in the house and anywhere the other dogs have "done their business" will attract the puppy and he may urninate there. I would treat those areas with white vinegar often, after cleaning the areas.

There are natural drops that you can apply to an area outside in your yard the will draw the puppy to the area to "do his business". Petsmart and Petco sell it, but I haven't had to use that in quite some time, and I cannot remember the name.

Taking the puppy out first thing in the morning, and right after he eats breakfast helps. Praise him and have a little treat to give him when he potties outside. Also, as someone else mentioned, take the puppy out every 2 hours.

Hope this helps. Good luck to you.

(edited for typos...hope I caught them all.)

“The price of light is less than the cost of darkness.”
– Arthur C. Nielsen
Honored Contributor

@dennylilly~

Something you might want to think about-

Since you have elderly pets now, when one or more gets sick and need extra attention, that in itself becomes a fulltime pet mama job. Not just giving medication, but taking to the vet, extra love and care special diet, cleaning up additional accidents. 

I think our senior pets deserve all the love and care and attention in their last years, especially all the unconditional love they have given to us.

A puppy is also a full-time job. How will you deal with both a puppy and if you need to, one or more ill seniors as well?

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Regular Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

I don't like pee pads at all.  It never made sense to have to train a dog twice.  

Set a timer for every two hours and take the puppy outside to the area where your other dogs go.  Use a leash so you know if he/she is actually doing their business or not.

You might have a problem with the pads you already have for your little dog.  The puppy will be drawn to the pads by smell.  

Maybe you can take both dogs out together to break the puppy pad habit.  Always use a leash, never just let the dogs go out alone until they are reliably trained.

I am planning now to try and break my Chi of this habit.  I definitely will NOT have the pee pads out when I have the puppy.  Since my Chi continued to pee on rugs i put the pad down to save them...and continue to try and convince the Chi where to pee.  She often goes with the other dog to potty (we have a doggy door) and the other dog did not pick up this habit so I hope the puppy won't either.  I will keep both dogs within my sight and confined with me until the puppy is trained fully.  

FOR THE OTHER POSTERS :

As far as not being sure about getting the puppy, I have been sure- was only dreading the training part....I did not EVER feel i would hurt my seniors by getting one.  I still don't think it will hurt them.  I had three dogs and two cats until my 15 year old Yorkie died a few years ago...so I am fully capable of taking care of all my pets and spending the time necessary to give them the best care,  My Yorkie was a pain in the butt his whole life --yet he was well loved and taken care of till the old age of 15.  So those of you thinking I don't know the first thing about caring for multiple and old pets... I have to 12 year old dogs and two 16 year old cats!  That doesn't happen when you don't have a clue....

Regular Contributor

@hgsuddle wrote:

I beg to differ on the temperment of goldendoodles.  I have an 8 month old mini goldendoodle puppy and she has her "zoomy" moments but she is pretty calm.  She has an AMAZING personality.  She is adorable, smart. and funny.  She is willing to cuddle and just chill with the family.  She loves to go on walks and loves to romp in the yard or the house with other friends' dogs.  She rarely gets into mischief, and loves to chew her toys.  She is a totally love and our family just adores her to pieces.  I do not have experience with multiple dogs in our house, but I just wanted to add my two sense about goldendoodles. Good luck to you!

THANK YOU FOR THAT.. I have a few friends who have gotten puppies from this same dog, her owner is a good friend, and all of the puppies are of good temperment.  I do not agree that they are high strung--and if they are the ones from this dog ARE NOT

Honored Contributor

@dennylilly. Sadie our beagle was 9 when we got Molly as 10 wk. old puppy. Sadie somewhat perked up since Molly wanted to play. House training was easier since Molly followed Sadie out the doggie door. 

We did do immediate obedience/puppy classes for both for basic commands which helped a lot.

I never believed in pee pads. Counter intuitive since teaching dog it's OK to pee in the house. As puppies, we walked them & took them to same spots to "get the idea". Take puppies every every hour, when they wake up, after playing/chewing & after eating. They form their pattern of "potty". 

Watch your other pets for any jealously or nipping/rough playing. Supervise, but don't intervene. They all need to establish their own hierarchy. 

Watch for any problems at feeding time & if necessary, feed new puppy in separate room. Crate train puppy immediately so he can be in a safe place when you can't watch him. 

I guess that's my best advice. It worked w/ my beagles and after the first few months of some scuffles over who's dominate, they now cuddle up together on the dog bag and share a water bowl (separate food dishes). 

Good luck!!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I strongly advise you not to do this until your older dogs and cats have passed.  It would be so unfair to them to bring a puppy into the home.  I always had two dogs, and when my last one died my other one was 12 years old.  I had planned on waiting until he died to get another dog anyway, but my Vet didn't know this.  The next time I went in she told me to please wait until Nick died to get another dog.  

I have a friend who got a puppy after her last dog died.  They have extremely well trained dogs, and the puppy is now over a year old and still drives their older dog crazy.  The puppy will require so much of your attention, and your older dogs and cats need all your attention at this time.  I completely understand that you have a lot of experience with dogs.  My friend and her husband whose puppy drives their older dog crazy do, too.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau