Respected Contributor

Re: PRIVATE SCHOOLS FOR SMALL CHILDREN - NECESSARY?

One big advantage of private school is that they do not have to put up with the atrocious behavior some students get away with.  I retired from the field 7 years ago.  In the late 90's you could really see some changes beginning to take place.  Teachers do nothing because they are afraid of the parents and they are not backed up by administration.  The parents are always placated.  It is so wrong but so true. 

Respected Contributor

Yes @bargainsgirl  everything you said is spot on!

Esteemed Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

I'm sure it's the same in the UK as it is here.  $24K isn't even a lot of money for rich parents who can afford it.  There are exclusive private schools in my area that charge $35K for elementary school, $50k for middle and high school.   The parents are paying for low student to teacher ratios,  teachers who are better educated and come from a higher socio economic background than public school teachers,  a curriculum that strives for excellence and puts achievement first.  They don't want their children exposed to working class students who are more likely to have troubled backgrounds.  Private schools are free from many government mandates that prevent teachers from actually teaching. And then there are things like music classes, foreign language classes, fencing, ballet beginning in elementary school.  Before my girls started school I would go through those catalogs and dream about being to send my girls to them.  Which isn't to say our family would even be considered by those exclusive schools but a mother can dream.  But we did want something better than public school so we sent them to good parochial schools.  Discipline, respect, strong work ethic were important to us and those things were weak in public schools.  

You're not talking about U.S. Private Schools.  There is OVERSIGHT for them too.  Oh, so only lower socio economic people have troubled home lives?  Get a load of that why doncha?  No school in these United States get to do what they want w/o governmental oversight.  Right down to inclusion and the food they are allowed to serve @chrystaltree .  I'm going to assume you're speaking about schools in the u.k. 

Most of us here are in the U.S. and that's what the discussion should be about imho.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Esteemed Contributor

@bargainsgirl wrote:

One big advantage of private school is that they do not have to put up with the atrocious behavior some students get away with.  I retired from the field 7 years ago.  In the late 90's you could really see some changes beginning to take place.  Teachers do nothing because they are afraid of the parents and they are not backed up by administration.  The parents are always placated.  It is so wrong but so true. 

No they don't have to because a Private School we banish them quicker than a public school will.  Trust and believe that Private Institutions of Learning in the United States have their bad apples too.  They just met out the punishments differently and with good reasons.

All bourgeois in this thread.  I think this is a bait thread.  I didn't think the OP would stir the pot. 

Esteemed Contributor

For those who have little ones they love in Private Schools of the United States:  This is NOT GREAT BRITAIN!!!!

https://defendinged.org/resources/associations-accreditors-and-oversight/

Esteemed Contributor

There is a well-respected,  private school here in L.A., it's elementary program/JK is about the same price as the school in the UK which the OP mentioned.

It's pretty much up to the parent or parents as to whether or not a private school education is necessary.

If you have the funds to spend on your child's education, one doesn't need to justify anything to anyone.

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44   Today....the answer is a firm YES,  but I am discriminating about the selection of the private school.

Honored Contributor

All of us (sister and two brothers) only attended private schools.  Typical liberal arts education:  English, History, Math, Science, Art, Music Theory.  We also had Religion classes. 

We took the same state-wide standardized tests - and from what I read online, private schools scores far surpassed public schools - all across the country.

There's a book worth reading: The Educated Imagnation by Northrop Frye.

Honored Contributor

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@bargainsgirl wrote:

No they don't have to because a Private School we banish them quicker than a public school will.  Trust and believe that Private Institutions of Learning in the United States have their bad apples too.  They just met out the punishments differently and with good reasons.

All bourgeois in this thread.  I think this is a bait thread.  I didn't think the OP would stir the pot. 

@gertrudecloset 

Stir the pot?      What?????   

Sorry, but you are dead wrong here.   I read an article about what the royals spend their money on, and one of the sections talked about education.  It quoted one school's tuition at approx $24k per year, which I thought was ridiculously high for kids ages 4 to 7 years old.

So, out of curiousity, I asked posters here, what the heck do they teach this age group to cost justify the tuition. 

It's a fair question.

Please do not try to derail my thread with some ridiculous comments about what you "think" I am doing.

You are welcome to go elsewhere and start your own thread about schools in our country .... and anything else you wish to rant about.  

Your silly comments are unnecesary, and OFF TOPIC.  

Honored Contributor

I don't believe they teach 4-7 year olds anything different in those schools in the UK. I think for many parents it's a status thing, just as it is for many in the US. Competing with the Joneses over what schools your kids attend  And if you're very wealthy it's just what you do. 

Obviously for royals it's a security issue too, their children have more protection in those private schools.

I worked in a public elementary school a few years ago, they were teaching the kids the same things I learned in public schools many years ago. I went to good public schools and got a very good education. 

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"