Esteemed Contributor

@pitdakota,  I'm hoping you can provide a definitive answerr to my question.

While searching for an answer, which I did not find, I read the linked article and I'm wondering would occasional use of naproxyn have a significant effect?  If it makes a difference I'm in a very high risk category.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2693360/

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Trusted Contributor

I am interested in this, also.  I think it ties into the question as to whether to treat a fever or let it run. 

I used to argue with a Cerified Medical Assistant all the time over whether it is better to let a child's fever run, or treat it with an NSAID or acetomenophen right away.  I said let it run if it doesn't go dangerously high, its the body's natural response that is needed to fight an infection.

From what I am reading now, they say it is better to let it run if it is  not dangerously high.  The bad thing is that almost all OTC cold and flu meds have acetomenophen or ibuprofen in them. 

Respected Contributor

@Marp wrote:

@pitdakota,  I'm hoping you can provide a definitive answerr to my question.

While searching for an answer, which I did not find, I read the linked article and I'm wondering would occasional use of naproxyn have a significant effect?  If it makes a difference I'm in a very high risk category.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2693360/

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Hi @Marp!  Honestly, this is a question that is really not that clear at this time.  There is evidence as you posted that suggested that NSAIDS can interfere with antibody production.  However, there is still quite a bit of research that needs to be completed & to my knowledge, no specific studies completed on COVID-19 patients.

So this is what I would say if it were me.  Monitoring activity around me without any specific outbreaks in my area, I might go ahead and take the occasional naproxen only if I had to.  Once cases start to go up around you and you cannot quarantine yourself at all times, I would not take any NSAIDS just to be on the safe side.  

I hope that makes sense.  

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Esteemed Contributor

Thank you so much @pitdakota, your response is very helpful.  It has been a while since I've read an abstract that technical, I've gotten lazy.

Fortunately at this time my county has no confirmed or suspected cases nor are there any in the immediate neighboring counties so I will go with my gut and your validation of my thinking and get as close as reasonably possible to eliminating NSAIDS for the duration.

Hope all is well with you and yours. 

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Respected Contributor

Exactly @Marp!  And I know you will keep an eye on the cases reported around you and take into consideration the risk to yourself in your area.

Here in Ky we have gone up to 20 cases with fairly stringent & restrictive measures put in place & there are several cases in my county.  Therefore, I am looking at that as if the true number is on the upside of 150 and growing.  So I am taking some pretty safe measures, not eating out, not really going out.  Our church services have been cancelled and placed online, school is cancelled, etc.  

I may try to run to the grocery early one morning and see if it isn't that crowded at that time.  Just haven't decided yet.  

Just hoping we can flatten that curve!  Take care Marp!!  

Honored Contributor

@pitdakota  Something that seems strange to me is the minor affect this virus has on those 18 and younger with no explanation or theory. Have you seen anything, explanation or theory, from anyone?

In the past, all viruses have been most severe on children and the elderly which has me suspicious about this one.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

@pitdakota  Something that seems strange to me is the minor affect this virus has on those 18 and younger with no explanation or theory. Have you seen anything, explanation or theory, from anyone?

In the past, all viruses have been most severe on children and the elderly which has me suspicious about this one.

Suspicious of what, @occasionalrain?

Respected Contributor

Re: PITDAKOTA a Question

[ Edited ]

@occasionalrain wrote:

@occasionalrain, there have been children that have contracted the virus, but not very many.   The medical journal articles I have seen as an analysis from China to date has revealed that somewhere around 2% of all the cases in China were in children under the age of 18.  About 0.2 % of those were critical, if I am remembering correctly.  I can't remember if any children in China died or not.

I think there is also another newborn in England that has been diagnosed with the novel virus.  

To date, I have only read descriptive articles, meaning what they observed.  No real medical theories out there that I have seen from those that actually dealt with the cases.  That will change over time though and as more descriptive articles come out of South Korea, Italy, France, etc.

One thing I haven't had a chance to do is go back and review the medical literature for incidence and mortality for SARS and MERS in the pediatric population.   I just don't remember it impacting the pediatric population, but that could just be my erroneous memory.  Might be something to look into.

Edited to add:  it really isn't that unusual to see a particular viral strain that tends not to lead to high mortality in children. Especially health children.  In fact, that was one thing novel about the H1N1 2009-2010, it was impacting well children resulting in mortality, which is fairly rare for a flu strain.  

Honored Contributor

Suspicious that it's been created in a lab, experimental and accidentally released. Why would children have a level of immunity? It makes no sense.

Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

Suspicious that it's been created in a lab, experimental and accidentally released. Why would children have a level of immunity? It makes no sense.

@occasionalrain wrote:

I doubt that, @occasionalrain but appreciate your response.