Respected Contributor

Re: PBS Series on VIETNAM starts tonight....

[ Edited ]

@buddygrandma wrote:

I started to watch this....I served as an Army Nurse in Nam, 67=68......during the Tet....I couldn't finish watching it.....but then again, couldn't watch You Tube vidoes of the hospitals based in Afghanistan, either.  Perhaps we will never know the REAL reason for this war...for the one we thought was real, never, actually happened.

Thank you for your service @buddygrandma!   I know  many veterans that were in Vietnam during Tet and know that was a particularly horrible time in Vietnam.  One of my friends was in the Marines during Tet at the Battle of Hue.  He was wounded and lost both of this legs, was medivaced out and clearly attributes the fact he is alive to a nurse at the receiving hospital.  Your work was so important, even though I know it may have left you with many scars.

I also have a very good friend that was a nurse in Vietnam.  She served in the Air Force and spent most of her time at Cam Ranh Bay, I believe.

So thank you for your sacrifice and your service.

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm taping it and will watch in with DH some time in the next month.  Will be very hard to watch for sure.  Raw footage--I always have to look away.

Just read that American draftees made up one third of our military in country.

The other two thirds of Americans-- went voluntarily. 

That really surprised me.  I assumed that mostly all who were there were drafted.

edited to correct percentages

Honored Contributor

Last night was jam packed with historical detail.  

Honored Contributor

@lulu2 wrote:

After watching the first two installments, one thing that really came to light (for me) was that the US was fighting two "enemies."  It was a given the Viet Cong were the Bad Guys, but Diem, his brother and their cronies were far from our allies.

Then there was the infamous Madame Nhu.  As I recall her younger brother strangled their parents. (they were living in exile here)

@lulu2, this is the reason that we should watch and learn as much as we can from the VN experience. We were fighting two enemies? Ha...that's paltry compared to now. Only the most educated and involved people in the politics of tinderbox countries today can even begin to discern who might be our friends or enemies.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

It was a fight that was known could not be won. It was elections that did not want to be jeopardized. Communism or politics, politically correct, personal agendas.

A war that was known could not be won but..

Salute, respect, honor every warrior.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Othereeeen 'Thanks for the heads up.  I am going to watch.  My DH and I went on vacation to Vietnam several years ago.

We love the country and the people.  We were treated so well.  The people hold no hate for anyone. 

***** Heck, we don 't have PBS on Direct TV.

Esteemed Contributor

@chiclets wrote:

It was a fight that was known could not be won. It was elections that did not want to be jeopardized. Communism or politics, politically correct, personal agendas.

A war that was known could not be won but..

Salute, respect, honor every warrior.

@chiclets  It could have been won if the people sent to fight had been allowed to win it.

Keepin' it real.
Valued Contributor

Just wanna say this is a great thread with illuminating comments and perspectives and I thank everyone who has been sharing their thoughts and emotions. I've been watching the remarkable Ken Burns documentary and as someone who grew up in the years after Vietnam the war always seemed remote, muddled, incomprehensible. It was not something people talked about.  I've read books about it but nothing I've encountered can compare to the impact of this film. I've appreciated everyone's comments. They've richly added to my understanding of this complex war. Reminds me of class discussions in school in which everyone made such great points. Thanks!  

Respected Contributor

Feelings and emotions are deep.

Wounds are scars.

Yesterday's memories are today's haunts.

Tears flow and do not dry.

What was is what is.

Nothing can be changed.

Thoughts and impressions could be expressed.

There is no right or wrong.

No judgements with explanations warranted.

Let this thread continue without conflict and cause to be shut down.

Honored Contributor

Last night was hard to deal with.  It was a flashback to the evening news on TV, decades ago, when we saw our men shot and killed in front of our eyes.  

😥