Respected Contributor

PBS Series on VIETNAM starts tonight....

PBS will start thier 10 part series on "Vietnam" this evening....a Ken Burns production...it has very high reviews....

Just an FYI in case anyone is interested.....I think it starts at 8 or 9PM, depending on where you live...

I will watch...my brother was there, and thankfully he did come home, but not the same...

Vietnam is now a tourist destination.

Sigh.

Trusted Contributor

Re: PBS Series on VIETNAM starts tonight....

Thank you for the reminder!!!  I want to see it.

Respected Contributor

@Othereeeen, my heart breaks for your brother and all of your family.

It was a very terrible time and compounded by the way our troops were treated after.

Ken Burns generally does an excellent job. 

I have been so disturbed by the state of things now that I am not sure I can add to that angst.

I do think it is a must see for anyone who was not aware of the total picture.

Again, my thanks to you, your brother and family.

Honored Contributor

@Othereeeen wrote:

PBS will start thier 10 part series on "Vietnam" this evening....a Ken Burns production...it has very high reviews....

Just an FYI in case anyone is interested.....I think it starts at 8 or 9PM, depending on where you live...

I will watch...my brother was there, and thankfully he did come home, but not the same...

Vietnam is now a tourist destination.

Sigh.

So are Japan, Germany & Italy.

War was wrong for many reasons which I'm sure will be covered in this 10 part series -- Sunday through Thursday and again the following week.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

I set my DVR when I first saw that PBS would be airing it.

My best friend was in Vietnam during the Tet Offensive and he says that Ken Burns' documentaries on the war are the best.

Esteemed Contributor

Vietnam was a landmark of my young adulthood.  My brother went (and returned TG) and I worked for the military in Asia (was asked but decided not to go to VN).  I, like most my age, had ambivalent feelings about it.  I had friends who served and died there and knew others who went to Canada.  Several years ago DH and I went to VN  and experienced this young and vibrant country, quickly racing into the 21st Century.  We are looking forward to this series.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I cannot watch.  Even today when I hear Vietnam, it makes me mad and sad.  Too much loss for no real reason.  Those who went were my comtempories and I can't stand to think about what they went through and how it affected them and their loved ones.  That program is a big "No" for me.  It affects me in a not good way.

Respected Contributor

I, too, have a brother who returned from this war changed. Having lived through it, doing what I could to stop it, seeing things as they are now, I don't have the heart to watch 18 hours replaying it. For younger people who haven't been exposed to this terrible war, it would be instructive.

Super Contributor

I won't be watching this or any other documentary on Vietnam.  I'm now in my seventh decade and my teen years were filled with nightmares constantly.  At the time I lived in a very small town of 5K, we lost 46 of our young men.  They were all like family and going to all those funerals and consoling the families is something I never want to relive, No matter how many awards it may receive for Ken Burns.

Trusted Contributor

@Othereeeen Thank you for the reminder. My husband and I will watch. My brother served two tours there. Thank the lord he came home, but like your brother, my brother was never the same after that.