Honored Contributor

I guess AZ just assumes your previous driver license was issued legally. 

I handed over my CA......filled out the AZ form, they took my picture and I got an AZ license.    No challenges.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

I prefer living in a state where they are careful of such things as personal identity. They learned their lesson after the 911 pilots had learned to fly here.People should be careful of their important personal papers.

Pa has never given out an actual birth certificate to a mom when babies are born - thety give a certificarte that has a # on it saying the birth has been registered.Then if you take that to the state office they can get you the actual birth certificate.

Honored Contributor

I had two birth certificates, including one with the raised seal and all required signatures, but they were "short form" birth certificates and not the new "long form" birth certificates that NJ now requires. 

As to the 911 angle, there were early reports that the hijackers had all acquired NJ drivers license which prompted our state lawmakers to impose massive changes in the amount and types of ID's required to get or renew a license. It turns out those early reports were all wrong. None of the hijackers had gotten a NJ drivers license.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Frequent Contributor

@151949wrote:

I prefer living in a state where they are careful of such things as personal identity. They learned their lesson after the 911 pilots had learned to fly here.People should be careful of their important personal papers.

Pa has never given out an actual birth certificate to a mom when babies are born - thety give a certificarte that has a # on it saying the birth has been registered.Then if you take that to the state office they can get you the actual birth certificate.

This is not true. I just had a baby 6 months ago. They give you a hospital certificate of birth (more like a collectible certificate). I got the actual legal birth certificate in the mail about 7 days later.  @151949

Honored Contributor

@enw5002wrote:

@151949wrote:

This is not true. I just had a baby 6 months ago. They give you a hospital certificate of birth (more like a collectible certificate). I got the actual legal birth certificate in the mail about 7 days later.  @151949

The "hospital certificate of birth" is NOT a birth certificate. What I said is exactly right. Sending the actual birth certificate automatically in a week is something newer. But that piece of paper you got at the hospital means nothing legally.

Honored Contributor

I wasn't born in Pennsylvania. But until I tried to get my second passport the fancy certificate from the hospital where I was born always worked. My parents never had an official certificate from the state. The fancy certificate from the hospital had a gold raised seal, maybe that is why it worked for many years.

On a side note - I now live in Pennsylvania. I noticed in the newspapaper that the State of Pennsylvania was holding unclaimed money for me. I got the proper forms and filled then out to get my money. On January 18, 2018 I received an email stating they received the forms and would be processing it soon. I am still waiting. I guess they have a different opinion of what "soon" is.

Respected Contributor

I found out at age 50 that I did not have a "correct" birth certificate until I applied for a passport.  Even post 9/11 moving from NJ to California, getting married and other various things, always presenting what I believed was my birth certificate.  Turns out it was what the hospital issued. my mother never went and got the "official one" from the county or wherever you got them back then.  To top it all off, my sister ran into the same problem many years before me and never told me. 

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

The best piece of advice I received when I had my babies was to order 3-5 copies of their birth certificates from the County.

Valued Contributor

I did request an official copy yesterday and it was $30. It will take two months. There must be an enormous backlog and requests to do this. Bless those workers or worker required to take this job on!,,, also the whole system must have changed because I have had to get licenses in two states within the last few years. This will be my last. Haven’t even tried to register my car. That’s another day! 

Thanks for your help and responses.

Frequent Contributor

@151949wrote:

@enw5002wrote:

@151949wrote:

The "hospital certificate of birth" is NOT a birth certificate. What I said is exactly right. Sending the actual birth certificate automatically in a week is something newer. But that piece of paper you got at the hospital means nothing legally.

I never said it was a legal birth certificate. What you said about taking it to the state office to get a legal copy is incorrect. The hospital takes care of the paperwork with the state and then they send you the legal certificate. 

Anyhow this is does not help the OP get a copy of the BC.