Valued Contributor

Today was my oldest grandson's 13th birthday.  I sent his gifts and I included a tee shirt from the 75th (1978) World Series - NY Yankees vs. LA Dodgers.  My grandson is a huge Yankees fan. I was at the winning game and the tee was mine. Yankees took the series in 6 games.  

So he called to thank us for the gifts and was over the moon about the tee shirt.  I told him, "you know, your mother wasn't even born yet, and I was in my 20's and cute as a button when I went to that game."  His response, "nanna, I love you, but I don't think you were ever cute!"  I let him know in no uncertain terms that he was wrong, I WAS cute and he IS fresh.  We had a good laugh!  Yep, I sure set myself up for that one - LOL!

Honored Contributor

Re: Out of the Mouths of Babes!

@Its Me LuLuBelle2Yup I remember when I was young I thought that the old were always old and the young were young and beautiful forever.I believe it is hard for your grandson who has only known you at your nana stage to believe that you started out as young and cute as a button.

Esteemed Contributor

@dex wrote:

@Its Me LuLuBelle2Yup I remember when I was young I thought that the old were always old and the young were young and beautiful forever.I believe it is hard for your grandson who has only known you at your nana stage to believe that you started out as young and cute as a button.

There is more truth to that than you may realize.  The fact was brought home to me when I was in my mid 20s and ran into a friend of my dad's that I had not seen since I was 6 or 7.  I recognized him immediately because he looked to me just as I remembered him.  He, on the other hand, did not know me until I introduced myself.

Ironically, as a seasoned adult if I don't see someone for a few years there is only a 50% chance I'll recognize them.  They may look familiar but...

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

My grandmother had a picture of her and my grandfather on their wedding day hanging in her house.  It was just their top halves and in it both her and my grandfather were the most gorgeous couple.  I was about 5 and looked at the picture and asked her if it was really her and when she said yes I said if that is really you then what happened to you?.