Honored Contributor

Both actors and athletes are paid for results. Our schools are failing and have been. It has become a money sink. Other countries, all of them, spend less per student and they do a better job of educating so why should we pay more for poor results?

Honored Contributor

Re: Our twisted society

[ Edited ]

@Noel7  Those you mentioned are held in high esteem and remembered because they accomplished an amazing feat. However, they are a very small percentage compared with number of individuals who are ALL part of the teams in the world of sports. Trust me, there are far, far more who were used and forgotten than people want to realize. 

We haven't even discussed the college athletes who, due to injuries, can no longer play and therefore, must leave college and rarely return. Again, it's not about the person, it's about how much money that person can bring to the college/team owner.

Honored Contributor

I'm betting a lot of women around the world remember this athlete. I know we still see her fairly often on television spots.

We held our breath more than 40 years ago while she made mincemeat out of the man who challenged her.

tennis

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it is argumentative.

Honored Contributor

I'm a big sports fan. There are so many wonderful athletes who contribute money, time and talents to charitable works. Sports take me away temporarily from my troubles. I marvel at what athletes can do.

We do still live in a free market economy, anyone who is troubled by how much they make can choose to not give them your money. 

For me it makes for a sad life to bemoan how much athletes or actors make and the inequities of that vs what everyday heroes make. Yes it's unjust. So are countless things in this country and world.

"If you really want to shock the world unleash your kindness"
Honored Contributor

@Peaches McPhee wrote:

I agree 100%, but I have come to understand this issue this way: 

Sports stars are valued not by their contribution to society, but by thieir ability to bring $$ to the team ownership.  The owners are willing to pay $X million to a player, because they can generate $X+Y mlllion in revenue.  Spend money to make money.

It is not that way witih other professions.  Other workers are a drain on the company coffers, not a $$ generater.

It has nothing to do with "value" in terms of value to society.

@Peaches McPhee

?????    

I haven't read every single post, so sorry if this has already come up.    Not all workers are a drain on the company coffers .... what about sales people?   The top sales people are often valued most because they make money for the company .... and they receive incentives ... commissions, bonuses, etc.   It's all about value to that company.     If you owned a company that sold something, you would probably take good care of your best sales people, right?

As for "value to society" .....  what does that even mean in the everyday life for most people?   The grocery store cashier may work hard, do a good job .... but what is their value to society?   Same for the top notch auto mechanic or the self employed dog walker.   Not everyone who does a good job is going to be written about in history books as having tremendous "value to society".

I think you're comparing apples to oranges here.

Trusted Contributor

I am also a big sports fan.  It hurts my heart to see great athletes not earning the money they should be earning.

It hurts my heart to see these athletes, who earn nothing, having to listen respectfully to coaches earning millions.  They do it because they are great athletes and can cross that money divide.  Even when their coaches don't.

Honored Contributor

@tansy wrote:

What steams me is that the team owners blackmail cities to pay for their stadiums.

@tansy

I don't know about "blackmail".    Cities with a large sports presence have more revenue generated in that city.   How is this a bad thing?  

People are always complaining that the government isn't "creating" enough jobs, so when there's an opportunity to improve business and the bottom line, there are more jobs.

Honored Contributor

@12andcounting wrote:

@KathyPet wrote:

There is something seriously wrong with a society that considers it acceptable to pay someone $170 million dollars over 4 years to throw a basketball through a hoop and then have the team that is involved Post glowing press releases about it like this is,something to be proud of. I am glad I am old and probably will not live long enough to see the downfall of a country that considers this sort of obscenity to be normal.  

@KathyPet

I TOTALLY, TOTALLY agree with your post.  Our society has become so twisted and sick it's incomprehensible -- and so very, very sad.

@12andcounting     @KathyPet

Are you two under the impression that this is something new?    There have been teams and competition pretty much since the beginning of time.    This is nothing new.  

Honored Contributor

I hate to nitpick (not really), but  those who keep stressing the idea that we are a free-market, capitalistic system are not technically correct.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland