Honored Contributor

Beautiful!

Honored Contributor

Re: Our soon to be new car

[ Edited ]

@eadu4 wrote:

@Carmie  With all due respect I don't believe her comments were rude, they were quite factual.  A leased car is NOT yours.  It is throwing money away on something that is simply on loan to you.  It needs to be treated as a rental car since any excess milage or damage will cost you when you bring it back at the end of the lease.  You still are paying the insurance, and  inspections etc...so you are kinda saving money since you didn't "purchase" the vehicle, but at the end of the lease you need to give it back.  So you didn't really get something you "own" at the end.  A car lease is worth it if you don't go very far (rarely travel) don't have kids or pets, and are pretty much homebodies who only do very short trips to the store and local travel.  Most leases have a lot of conditions to them.  Which is the big pull for your pricier cars.  You too can drive a $50,000 car "if"....followed by a list of conditions.  It really is never yours.  It's on loan to you.  Although at the end of the lease they sometimes let you buy the car if you want to.  There are pros and cons to both lease/rental and purchase.  I find I would rather own my vehicle than know I have a lease company to answer to about my millage-sounds like you would too Smiley Happy

I never said anyone was rude...I said the comments were not so nice,

Every one pays cash wink wink...what a happy statement, eh?

I said everyone's situation is different.  Not everyone wants to own a car outright.  Many people get a car allowance at work and choose to lease.  Some people are required to always have a late model car by their employer.  Some people write off the payments on their taxes.

And, some people have money to burn.  They want what they want when they want it.  If they can afford it, why do people always have a negative opinion?

What is good for you is not the wisest choice for everyone.

Respected Contributor

From BMW and Car and Driver

Sign up today to learn when you can pre-order the First-Ever BMW i4 – and get the latest news and updates about this upcoming electric car and other future vehicles from BMW.

The 2022 BMW i4 hasn't been crash-tested by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) or the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS). While we expect it to offer all the latest driver-assistance technology—and maybe even semi-autonomous driving modes—we won't know the specific equipment until closer to its official on-sale date.

The car isn't going to be offered until next year.  The one pictured is the European model. 

Respected Contributor

@RainyDayGal wrote:

It's a decent looking car.  However, I always thought it poor taste to brag about expensive purchases.

@RainyDayGal 

Ridiculous notion. Everyone deserves to experience the joy of a new car and should be able to share it.  I do not know anyone that does not get excited when they get a new car whether it is an upper tier vehicle or not.

Trusted Contributor

@songbird 

That is a beautiful car.  It was nice to see the photo and read about some of its attributes.

BTW-there seem to be charging stations everywhere.  

Our older son who is driving an 18 year old car just

yesterday said he would probably be buying an electric

car next year.  I think they have come a long way.

Don't let the negative comments bother you.  Enjoy your car, and know that most of us are happy for you and appreciate that

you shared your excitement here.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Carmie 

Champagne taste on a beer budget.

------

What we do is get the most basic model of the vehicle we want. I'm an advocate of paying cash for cars and have found it is possible even on a beer budget. Heck, I'm from Wisconsin where beer is the state liquor!

Honored Contributor

@Susan in California wrote:

@songbird 

That is a beautiful car.  It was nice to see the photo and read about some of its attributes.

BTW-there seem to be charging stations everywhere.  

Our older son who is driving an 18 year old car just

yesterday said he would probably be buying an electric

car next year.  I think they have come a long way.

Don't let the negative comments bother you.  Enjoy your car, and know that most of us are happy for you and appreciate that

you shared your excitement here.

I kind of expeced it.  There is a lot of hostility towards electric cars for some reason. But yes, it still won't be available for a while yet. But thank you!

Respected Contributor

Recently I received an e-mail promotion from Subaru (I have been a Subaru owner since 2001).  Subaru will have an electric model, Solera is the name, I think.  It's not available just yet; I think 2023 is the model year, so late in 2022 it should come to the market.  The times, they are a-changing.

Respected Contributor

Beautiful car.  I told DH that if we buy another car, I'd like for it to be electric.  And as seldom as we change cars, they probably all will be electric by then.

We've had a Mercedes and now a BMW and for us, the BMW is nothing like the Mercedes.  We'd buy another Mercedes.  

Esteemed Contributor

I’m excited for you @songbird It’s a beautiful car.