Honored Contributor

@Puppy Lips wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

I'd consider it an opportunity to teach your child some street smarts as well as social graces.

I think it's a good chance to teach the child that sometimes people are just joking with you, pulling your leg or in this case your tooth, and the response is to wave them off. Not take them literally or seriously. And not get overly upset at what is meant to be a joke, even if it's clumsy and not particularly funny.

"Nooooooo. We can't do thaaaat. That's so silly!" would be my response to someone saying that to a child in my presence.

@Porcelain You make a good point.  My parents never "kidded" or "joked" with us, or at least me.  I went out into the world believing everything that everyone said to me.  You have to have some confidence to think to yourself, "Wait a minute......", lol.

My paternal grandfather joked with me that way quite a bit. And at first I took him stone cold seriously.

He was deaf in one ear from scarlet fever as a child. Well he told me it was because he poured glue in his ear as a child so I must never do that. (He would pull one of my pigtails too. Not hard. It was his extremely old fashioned and annoying way of expressing affection.)

So in preschool and kindergarten I was ridiculously cautious with the glue and paste, terrified I might get some on my ears. Only a little later my mom and grandmother noticed grandpa's joking and explained the concept of pulling my leg to me.

Kids understand the concept of being silly. When you let them know that sometimes adults are being silly too, they can get it I think.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@D Kay wrote:

No different than telling them the tooth fairy will put money under their pillow.

Play dough that has been played with is extremely dirty and contains bacteria and heaven knows what else..  Putting something dirty into an open wound in your mouth could cause an infection. Oral infections can cause heart trouble. This could lead to a serious problem.

It is very different than the tooth fairy story.

Honored Contributor

Young children are literal, they don't have the language skills or experience to get that tone of voice can mean the opposite or that pulling your leg doesn't actually mean just that. That person was way out of line. Setting children up, laughing at them when they take comments literally is cruel. It can make them reluctant to ask when they don't understand and sometimes cause unnecessary fear.

Respected Contributor

Ewwwww......used play dough!!!

I would have suggested a Chiclet !!!!

Honored Contributor

@x Hedge wrote:

@Goodie2shoes wrote:

. . .

Opinions please, thanks

My opinion is it's stupid and reckless to tell a gullible child to put anything inedible into their mouth. 

Period.  No exceptions.

@x Hedge    Play Doh is non-toxic just in case a guillable child puts it into his mouth.

I'm guessing the adult who made the tooth suggestion was joking with a child who understood it was a joke.  Somebody is making a mountain out of a molehill. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@Goodie2shoes 

The child just might know that the person who said it is a moron.

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 

@x Hedge wrote:

@Goodie2shoes wrote:

. . .

Opinions please, thanks

My opinion is it's stupid and reckless to tell a gullible child to put anything inedible into their mouth. 

Period.  No exceptions.

@x Hedge    Play Doh is non-toxic just in case a guillable child puts it into his mouth.

I'm guessing the adult who made the tooth suggestion was joking with a child who understood it was a joke.  Somebody is making a mountain out of a molehill. 

To assume a 5 yo child would understand whats real and whats a joke about everything  or some things that are  said to them  is reckless.  To guess that the adult was only kidding is also reckless in my opinion. These are our precious babies and they should be kept safe. If that child would have choked on that playdough or had some type of reaction (even if it is non toxic, some may still have a reaction ) that would not be a molehill situation  

Esteemed Contributor

I don't think it's that big of a deal, honestly.  Play Doh is nontoxic. 

The more harmful thing is to raise a child with the mentality that they are delicate like a piece of china, and that they live in a world where even the Play Doh they play with could harm them.  A person who allows their anxiety to dictate their parenting style will raise a neurotic child.

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Respected Contributor

@mistriTsquirrel wrote:

I don't think it's that big of a deal, honestly.  Play Doh is nontoxic. 

The more harmful thing is to raise a child with the mentality that they are delicate like a piece of china, and that they live in a world where even the Play Doh they play with could harm them.  A person who allows their anxiety to dictate their parenting style will raise a neurotic child.

Play-Doh and modeling clay are minimally toxic. If swallowed, a child could experience vomiting and/or constipation. Explaining to my child that it is not a good idea to eat it is an act of love. 

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Esteemed Contributor

This sounds like something my Grandpa would have told me! Sometimes we need to teach our children that there is such a thing as a joke!