Respected Contributor

Welllll, maybe there was more to the story ?  like the Pay-Doh Dentist toy?

Appropriate for ages 3 and Up

Doctor, drill 'n fill that patient before he gets a toothache! Even if it can be a little scary to go to the dentist, kids can take control and play pretend dentist with this Play-Doh playset. They can make the patient stick out his Play-Doh tongue, then use the toy tooth mold to create a whole row of Play-Doh teeth at once. Start drillin' and fillin' with the hand-powered toy drill and syringe extruder tool. Cavity-colored modeling compound has green speckles to look like the patient has gunk in his teeth, and gold and silver Play-Doh colors make great braces and fillings. With a total of 10 toy dental tools and 8 non-toxic Play-Doh cans, this toy dentist kit makes a great activity or gift for kids 3 years and up!

Esteemed Contributor

@CatsyCline wrote:

Welllll, maybe there was more to the story ?  like the Pay-Doh Dentist toy?

Appropriate for ages 3 and Up

Doctor, drill 'n fill that patient before he gets a toothache! Even if it can be a little scary to go to the dentist, kids can take control and play pretend dentist with this Play-Doh playset. They can make the patient stick out his Play-Doh tongue, then use the toy tooth mold to create a whole row of Play-Doh teeth at once. Start drillin' and fillin' with the hand-powered toy drill and syringe extruder tool. Cavity-colored modeling compound has green speckles to look like the patient has gunk in his teeth, and gold and silver Play-Doh colors make great braces and fillings. With a total of 10 toy dental tools and 8 non-toxic Play-Doh cans, this toy dentist kit makes a great activity or gift for kids 3 years and up!

And the plot THICKENS....!!!! - Dr. Evil Billions | Meme Generator

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Honored Contributor

My first thought was...this could be a choking hazard for sure.    If this was meant to be a joke, did the person who said it know the child well enough to know they were pulling his leg?  If the answer  is no, then this person was waaaaay out of line.  Some things you just don't joke about.  Some you can. 

I can remember taking one of my dad's jokes rather seriously.  In my case it didn't have the possibility of harm.  We were sitting around the dinner table and we ( brother, sister, and I) didn't want to eat our carrots.  Dad told us to eat our carrots. I think, as I look back, he was probably talking to my brother mostly because  my brother was the picky eater of the family.  Dad said, "eat your carrots it will help you grow hair on your chest".  I looked at him and said, "but daddy, I don't want hair on my chest"!  While this ended up being funny, it just goes to show you that little children sometimes take what adults say to heart.  

Honored Contributor

@jubilant wrote:

My first thought was...this could be a choking hazard for sure.    If this was meant to be a joke, did the person who said it know the child well enough to know they were pulling his leg?  If the answer  is no, then this person was waaaaay out of line.  Some things you just don't joke about.  Some you can. 

I can remember taking one of my dad's jokes rather seriously.  In my case it didn't have the possibility of harm.  We were sitting around the dinner table and we ( brother, sister, and I) didn't want to eat our carrots.  Dad told us to eat our carrots. I think, as I look back, he was probably talking to my brother mostly because  my brother was the picky eater of the family.  Dad said, "eat your carrots it will help you grow hair on your chest".  I looked at him and said, "but daddy, I don't want hair on my chest"!  While this ended up being funny, it just goes to show you that little children sometimes take what adults say to heart.  

I had a friend who convinced me I was growing a watermelon in my stomach because I swallowed a seed. It's just part of growing up. Everyone has cute stories like that. We didn't used to pathologize everything to this extent.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

Some people enjoy teasing children, tickling children used to be acceptable too. I don't enjoy being teased or tickled, so I would never do it to another, especially a child or a pet.

Esteemed Contributor

@mom2four0418, I have no intention of arguing with you. I'll just say this: I was so fortunate to have two loving grandfathers who had a wonderful sense of humor, and both enjoyed telling some "tall tales" to me and my cousins. We loved their stories and the things they said. I see this the same way as some of the childrens' books that were read to me as a child, e.g. Jack & the Beanstalk, Little Red RidingHood, The 3 Little Pigs, etc. Most children love fantasy and stories like them!

Trusted Contributor

I think it was creepy and being way too personal with the child. Children are very innocent and impressionable. The adult in this situation needs to be avoided. 

Trusted Contributor

Young children take things literally. Sounds like the adult the OP was referring to is either clueless about children or just mean.

Respected Contributor

@jannabelle1 wrote:

@mom2four0418, I have no intention of arguing with you. I'll just say this: I was so fortunate to have two loving grandfathers who had a wonderful sense of humor, and both enjoyed telling some "tall tales" to me and my cousins. We loved their stories and the things they said. I see this the same way as some of the childrens' books that were read to me as a child, e.g. Jack & the Beanstalk, Little Red RidingHood, The 3 Little Pigs, etc. Most children love fantasy and stories like them!

Why would we argue when we are just expressing opinions? I was also raised with a wonderful sense of humor, as were my children. I never liked any of the books that you mentioned, and my children did not grow up with them. We all make choices and decisions as parents that we think are best. I'm sure that you did too! 

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Honored Contributor

Re: Opinions please

[ Edited ]

@Porcelain wrote:

@jubilant wrote:

I had a friend who convinced me I was growing a watermelon in my stomach because I swallowed a seed. It's just part of growing up. Everyone has cute stories like that. We didn't used to pathologize everything to this extent.

@Porcelain   Yours is a cute little story.   While I understand not wanting to make "mountains out of molehills", to my way of thinking,  if it was a very young child, this could easily be something beyond his or her comprehension and that is what we as adults need to take into consideration.  If I discerned that something seemed a little "off" then I would listen to my conscience.  I would think, by the child's reaction, one might be able to tell if the child "got it" or not.