Respected Contributor

I'm very sorry for the loss of your husband.

~Nick Chavez is my favorite vendor on QVC and Alberti Popaj is my favorite QVC host.~
Nick Chavez now has his own sub-forum under the My Favorite Brand folder
Honored Contributor

I am sorry for your loss. I would not give SIL death certificate, never heard of such a request.

Esteemed Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss. I can't imagine your grief. Take care of yourself. IMO, you're doing the right thing. If your SIL wants documents, she can request them elsewhere.

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Contributor
On 2/24/2015 Financialgrl said:
On 2/24/2015 NjsKillingme said:

<em>There's a Will...I'm sole beneficiary ....as I should be.</em>

First off, sorry for your loss. My guess is a will won't even be needed. I just closed out my father's estate and usually, when someone loses a spouse, most people's assets are held jointly so automatically pass to the other. Its when the second one dies that things get interesting and all kinds of people come out of the woodwork - so I can't imagine she wants a death certificate for anything monetary.

Financialgrl...yes, maybe she's counting on me going soon too..not gonna happen if i can help it..But I have a will also, and all of my assets go to my daughter...100%

Contributor
On 2/24/2015 pistolino said:

I'd be inclined not to give her one and tell her if she wants it to request it through the gov't entity issuing them in your area.

My main reason for posting here is to let you know I'm sorry for the loss of your husband. It has to be so hard and I'll have you in my thoughts and prayers.

Thank you very much Pistolina..it's an adjustment that's proving hard to get used to...Smiley Sad

Contributor
On 2/24/2015 circles said:

I am sorry for your loss....

I would not give her anything....

Thank you Circles...

Trusted Contributor

I am very sorry for the loss of your husband. I have to disagree with the other posters, though.

If you have extra copies of the death certificate, what harm is there in providing a copy -- regardless of her reasons? As many have pointed out, the death certificate is a matter of public record, and as a sibling, she can obtain it from the state. To withhold a copy just to be obstinate seems to be causing trouble for nothing. If you do not have extra copies, just let her know, but if you do, what is the point?

Contributor
On 2/24/2015 Giordan said:

So sorry for your loss.

You said his death was "a cancer related issue". Is it possible that she may have seen one of those T.V. ads..."If you, or a family member, has suffered a loss due to..."and she wants to file a claim?

Giordan...God only knows what she's thinking...she's a bit greedy when it comes to money. I was told that she had her grandmothers body exhumed the next day to get a small diamond neckless off of her neck. It was done illegally most likely, she grew up with the cemetery manager. I was shocked to hear this to say the least.

Contributor
On 2/24/2015 KYToby said:

I am very sorry for the loss of your husband. I have to disagree with the other posters, though.

If you have extra copies of the death certificate, what harm is there in providing a copy -- regardless of her reasons? As many have pointed out, the death certificate is a matter of public record, and as a sibling, she can obtain it from the state. To withhold a copy just to be obstinate seems to be causing trouble for nothing. If you do not have extra copies, just let her know, but if you do, what is the point?

Thank you KYToby. it has personal info on it that I feel she doesn't need.

Contributor
On 2/24/2015 ury said:

I am so sorry for your loss. I can't imagine your grief. Take care of yourself. IMO, you're doing the right thing. If your SIL wants documents, she can request them elsewhere.

Thank you Ury.