Frequent Contributor

Opinion, please, on a job application question.

Hi, All - I'm filling out a job app, and I wonder what your opinions are on this. It asks for "Salary Expectation." I don't really have any "expectations" -- more like a "hope"! (LOL)

I had someone tell me what they THINK this job might pay (but aren't 100% sure), and, frankly, I'd be more than happy with that amount or even less. I think I've blown a couple other job apps in the past few months by possibly putting an amount that was more than they wanted to pay, so I'm a little hesitant to put a specific amount on there.

My question: If I want to leave it up to whatever their offer or pay scale might be, do you think it would be better to put "Negotiable," "Open," "Open to offer," or what? Many years ago, I was told that saying "Open" was the thing to put in this situation, but so many things have changed lately with job-hunting that I'm not sure what the preferred wording is nowadays. I had someone tell me recently that "Negotiable" would be appropriate, but I wondered if that sounds like I'm going to hold out and haggle(?).

I know this may sound like an insignificant detail, but I've been through the wringer with job hunting for 6 months now, and I don't want to leave any stone unturned. Smile