Honored Contributor

Online Retailers Getting Very Stingy

With return policies.  Many places I've shopped in years past will not refund S&H charges for a defective item.  Not to mention they charge $15 or more for one item.  I am seriously reconsidering before I purchase from these retailers.  Also when I called to question lack of refund on original S&H, he pushed to send a replacement.  I said I didn't want the replacement, just refund amount charged as it was defective.  He pushed and pushed but I stood my ground.  Finally he said "as a one time courtesy" they would refund the original S&H but also interjected that it's very unlikely that they would send a defective item.  OK, but you did this time, likely or not.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Online Retailers Getting Very Stingy

[ Edited ]

@rms1954 wrote:

With return policies.  Many places I've shopped in years past will not refund S&H charges for a defective item.  Not to mention they charge $15 or more for one item.  I am seriously reconsidering before I purchase from these retailers.  Also when I called to question lack of refund on original S&H, he pushed to send a replacement.  I said I didn't want the replacement, just refund amount charged as it was defective.  He pushed and pushed but I stood my ground.  Finally he said "as a one time courtesy" they would refund the original S&H but also interjected that it's very unlikely that they would send a defective item.  OK, but you did this time, likely or not.

Appreciate the FYI   .  Which retailers  are at issue ?

Honored Contributor

I've noticed some retailers also increasing their minimums for free shipping.

Honored Contributor

Eee gad just go to you local merchant and shop in person!! I would never pay for shipping! I live rural so online shopping is a lot more convenient but I won't do it if I have to. I much rather shop local. Supporting my own businesses is a big priority for me. 

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

Eee gad just go to you local merchant and shop in person!! I would never pay for shipping! I live rural so online shopping is a lot more convenient but I won't do it if I have to. I much rather shop local. Supporting my own businesses is a big priority for me. 

@ID2 

I'd rather shop local, too.  But my 'local' shopping is Walmart--that's it.  Even that is ten miles away.  Any other type of store is at least two hours from me.  And limited choices as well.

And what I hear from those that live in cities, the stock in brick and mortar stores has become very limited in the last few years.  They are also pushing people online.

Esteemed Contributor

Shipping costs have gotten very expensive. 

Esteemed Contributor

@rms1954 

It would be helpful if you shared exactly what merchant you had this experience with.  Then we’d know who to avoid. 

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Respected Contributor

I'm not suggesting that this is the case with the poster, but some retailers are now "tracking" customers to see how many returns they make vs. the number of items they order.  

It becomes a cost issue if they lose money with return orders. 

I tend to buy items on-line (other then the Q), that have a local store nearby.  That way I can bring any returns to them, especially if damaged in shipping.  It easy for them to confirm the damage and I've never had an issue, just make sure to return within their time frame (most stores are 30-90 days), but some stores have a 7 day return policy like Barnes and Noble, even if purchasing a gift during the holidays - I decided not to buy it based on their return policy and they lost a sale.   That policy have changed since then, but I can understand how some stores have to control the number of returns, especially when you see people returning live Christmas trees after the holiday to stores like Lowes, etc..  and expect all their money back.

......You look like I need a drink.....
Honored Contributor

I've gotten quite frugal (uh, cheap). If an item isn't free shipping and free returns, no store credits, no questions asked, etc., I can find it elsewhere or I don't need it that badly. 

Honored Contributor

Sundance.