Esteemed Contributor

the Statue of Liberty dedication took place.

Getting to the dedication was quite a task.  For some interesting facts about how Liberty came to be check out https://www.statueoflibertytickets.com/Statue-Of-Liberty/?show=history

For even more appreciation Liberty's history take a little time and read about the people behind her creation.  https://www.nps.gov/stli/learn/historyculture/people.htm

As my current sig states, the more I learn the more I realize how little I know.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Esteemed Contributor

We've visited the Statue several times over the years, but my memory seems to fade with time. Nice to have a friendly reminder. Thanks for the refresher information.

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

Thanks for posting. This proves we are never too old to learn. I love my country.

Honored Contributor

Re: On October 28, 1886

[ Edited ]

I saw a re-broadcast of an older documentary last year -- I think it was PBS's film, the one Ken Burns produced -- about the history and creation and installation of the Statue of Liberty, with fascinating film footage and photographs.   Visiting this monument, and also going to Ellis Island, were landmark moments in my life and it was transformational to be there.   Thank you for this thread, @Marp.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Trusted Contributor

one of my dear friends came through ellis island as a child. her family came from denamrk.  she told me that when the  statue of liberty came into view from the ship,  almost all the people on baord the ship began to sing and cheer. se was 8 when this took place and she lived to be 104