Esteemed Contributor

Do you sign on line petitions?

I do, especially if it's to stop animal cuelty.

Yet, I have heard, and can see how on line petitions can be seen as meaningless, because, what if I signed it as Snoopy, or Woody Woodpecker, or Sheldon Cooper?

How are they going to know that I am who I say that I am?

So, while I have my doubts as to whether or not the online petitions actually work, I still fill them out anyway, just in case they do.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

I've never heard of an online petition changing anything. I think it's a data mine. So, no, I don't. 

Honored Contributor

I have heard, from worthy sources, that it amounts to nothing but data mining.  So, I do not do it.  I think I did it a decade or so ago.

Honored Contributor

I receive and sign so many petitions daily with the hope they do some good.  I am familiar with many of the causes and if I believe in someone or an animal cause I sign.  Not only do I sign but I comment.  I do wonder if anyone reads the comments I make, I hope so.  

To be honest I too wonder about the petitions but if a few work I have done something positive.

Respected Contributor

I too sign oline petitions from change.**g, and ALWAYS sign my actual first / last names and leave a scathing comment. I ONLY sign on behalf of animals, I never sign for people causes. ever.

Respected Contributor

@Anonymous032819, I don't sign online petitions or any other type of petition.  I think it is makes a bigger impact to write a letter addressed to the appropriate individual regarding the issue.

As a nurse over the years, I have been involved in multiple state issues to address health related issues in the state.  We always had form letters with information for whom to address the letter and the mailing address.  

Since my husband was involved in a veterans organization for decades, the veterans did the same when it came to trying to bring about support for a particular issue that impacted veterans. 

It's a whole 'nother ballgame when someone gets 300 letters addressed directly to them rather than a piece of paper with 300 signatures.  And that is even if the petition actually makes it to the actual person! 

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Honored Contributor
I think many just want to get a legitimate name they can use as a way to steal identities. Many are just ways to get fundraising prospects, especially during an election year. If I want to support a cause, I would probably contact the organization directly.
Trusted Contributor

Re: On Line Petitions

[ Edited ]

Not a fan of petitions as I do not feel they accomplish anything. Prefer the method @pitdakota mentioned. I believe this type of method would see better results.

Honored Contributor

No, as soon as they get your email address, you're bombarded with solicitations that never end.  You have to give your email to register your vote.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

The only ones I get are for political candidates, I've never received one for anything else.  No, I don't complete them.