Respected Contributor

@on the bay 

Boitano skated to the short program "Les Patineurs" and the long program to "Napoleon". He didn't skate to Bolero. However, Torvil and Dean did ice dance to Bolero in 1984.

Honored Contributor

Thank you @Sushismom!

I am so misremembering! 

Yes, Torvil and Dean-and I do remember that beautiful program.

Now I'll go rewatch Brian's gold medal performance!

eta:-

I just now watched it and got chills all the way thru. It is just as incredible today as I remember it back then.

Then watched his skate to Music of the Night-he has the best interpretation of the music I've ever seen and makes a story every time out of his performance. Even his jumps are like exclamation points to the music.

I also watched Johnny Wier-skating almost 20 years ago but a wonderful skater and performer too.

Anyway I wouldn't have watched if you hadn't let me know!😊

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

NBC PRIME TIME EVENTS/COVERAGE FOR 2/9/2022

8 PM - 12:30 AM

1 AM - 2 AM

halfpipe snowboarding, womens

figure skating, mens free skate

alpine skiing, slalom run, mens combined

downhill alpine skiing, mens

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I'm still remembering couples skaters Ekaterina Gordeeva and Sergei Grinkov.

What a beautiful pair.  Sad about his passing while practicing.

I just read in Wikipedia about Ekaterina and her skating and personal life after her husband's death.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

@ROMARY wrote:

I'm still remembering couples skaters Ekaterina Gordeeva and Sergei Grinkov.

What a beautiful pair.  Sad about his passing while practicing.

I just read in Wikipedia about Ekaterina and her skating and personal life after her husband's death.

have not heard those names in quite a while @ROMARY . i also went to wikipedia to read about her. i dont think i knew that she married (and subsequently divorced) another russian skater ilia kulik who i also remember. she fairly recently got married to another skater, david pelletier, from canada.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor
Brian's mother won her medal at Sapporo in 1972; I was at that Olympics as a spectator ( later I saw the games in Innsbruck and in Los Angeles). Really gave me pause when they said that was 50 years ago. At that time there were no professional competitors, all amateurs. That Olympics was very small, compared to today. We stayed in Hokkaido at a small inn and the families of the American speed skaters were housed there ( their kids, who competed, came to visit them and showed off their medals. It was a different time.
Honored Contributor

Nathan Chen's performance to "Rocketman" was just wonderful.  Now he can add Olympic gold medalist to his resume.  Also enjoyed Jason Brown, such a gifted artist.

Honored Contributor

NBC PRIMETIME EVENTS  AND FEATURES FOR 2/10/2022

8 pm - 11pm et

11:30 pm - 12:30 am et

snowboarding halfpipe, mens finals

alpine skiing super G, womens

freestyle skiing, mixed team aerials final

Honored Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

Nathan Chen's performance to "Rocketman" was just wonderful.  Now he can add Olympic gold medalist to his resume.  Also enjoyed Jason Brown, such a gifted artist.

@deepwaterdotter 

nathan chen did a fantastic job.....what a great free skate. i think though that i enjoyed jason brown even more. what  a great artistic performance he had. not quite the over the top jumps, but a beautiful free skate to watch because he is so expressive and good at what he does.

Honored Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

I saw it and was confused by the music.  I heard Goodbye Yellow Brick Rd.  At least it started out as that.  And yes, I heard the announcer say is was Rocket Man.