Honored Contributor

Re: Ohio mom took 10 day vacation and left 16 month toddler alone

@deeva wrote:

They should put her in a cell without a toilet or water. Dress her in Depends and see how long she lasts.

And give her a few bottles of water for a life sentence like she gave her baby a few bottles of milk to last the 10 days she was gone. Oh, and skip over her when it's chow time. 

Esteemed Contributor

When I read this story, it made me sick. The thought of that sweet innocent baby in a cold wet dark house is unfathomable.

No matter what sentence she gets, there is no justice for that baby.

There was no psychosis here. She knew what she was doing.

Trusted Contributor

@MoJoV wrote:

If grandma really believed her daughter had mental problems wouldn't she be sure the baby was safe with someone and check with that "someone" about her granddaughter?  After 10 days, no communication with that "someone".  As a grandma myself, this grandma is lacking. I would have a very heavy burden of guilt if I were this grandma.

Is it possible the grandmother had no relationship with her daughter and would not have known what was happening? Sometimes parents of extremely mentally ill people detach from the child out of necessity.

Sounds like the mother didn't have the intellect to understand what would happen to the child or maybe just didn't care. Either way, she's paying her debt to society now.

I find it gross that the same people who send prayers for this baby, wish bodily harm or death on the mother. Praying for a person to be beaten, hurt, killed in prison doesn't make any sense to me.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I read about this a while ago.  It is incomprehensible to me how someone could leave an innocent baby to fend for itself.

I can't imagine what goes on in the mind of someone like this.  It's very sad.

ETA:  I can't get over it in my mind!  My own baby grandson is 12 months old and he's a happy little boy...one main reason is because his parents are both wonderful!  My daughter is with him all of the time tending to his every need. 

She works from home and has hired a sitter to come in a few afternoons a week....but she's still there if a problem should arise.

Esteemed Contributor

@MyShadowLove wrote:

@San Antonio Gal....I'm having a difficult time understanding this statement...

"A neighbor’s doorbell camera captured the 16-month old’s frequent screams, including one around 1 a.m. two days after her mother left. "

Why didn't the neighbor inform the authorities of what they heard?...The precious toddler's life could have been saved...I don't quite understand?

I was thinking, why didn't they call for a welfare check. Baby could've been saved. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lakelife62 wrote:

@MoJoV wrote:

If grandma really believed her daughter had mental problems wouldn't she be sure the baby was safe with someone and check with that "someone" about her granddaughter?  After 10 days, no communication with that "someone".  As a grandma myself, this grandma is lacking. I would have a very heavy burden of guilt if I were this grandma.

Is it possible the grandmother had no relationship with her daughter and would not have known what was happening? Sometimes parents of extremely mentally ill people detach from the child out of necessity.

Sounds like the mother didn't have the intellect to understand what would happen to the child or maybe just didn't care. Either way, she's paying her debt to society now.

"I find it gross that the same people who send prayers for this baby, wish bodily harm or death on the mother. Praying for a person to be beaten, hurt, killed in prison doesn't make any sense to me."

Me also.

Hurting this woman won't bring her baby back. She is obviously mentally ill or just plain evil. A good and normal person, wouldn't leave a dog alone for 10 days, let alone a human infant. Either way she needs prayer and to be put away so that she can never hurt anyone else.

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Respected Contributor

@qvcfreak wrote:

@MyShadowLove wrote:

@San Antonio Gal....I'm having a difficult time understanding this statement...

"A neighbor’s doorbell camera captured the 16-month old’s frequent screams, including one around 1 a.m. two days after her mother left. "

Why didn't the neighbor inform the authorities of what they heard?...The precious toddler's life could have been saved...I don't quite understand?

I was thinking, why didn't they call for a welfare check. Baby could've been saved. 

Yes, and what happened to her male companion? Didn't he know about the baby?

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Respected Contributor

@San Antonio Gal What a sad story, with a mother like that poor little Jailyn never had a chance.

Trusted Contributor

How could the mother possibly think that her baby could survive alone for 10 days like that? She must have a very low IQ or mental issues. Poor baby, what a sad story.
Honored Contributor

"I find it gross that the same people who send prayers for this baby, wish bodily harm or death on the mother. Praying for a person to be beaten, hurt, killed in prison doesn't make any sense to me."

Me also.

Hurting this woman won't bring her baby back. She is obviously mentally ill or just plain evil. A good and normal person, wouldn't leave a dog alone for 10 days, let alone a human infant. Either way she needs prayer and to be put away so that she can never hurt anyone else.

Do you find it gross that she is spending the rest of her life in prison? What if that state had a death penalty and she was given it. Would that be something she didn't deserve? She committed murder. She could have gotten the death penalty. But maybe she "shouldn't be hurt?" We don't know if she was mentally ill. There are places to help her if possible. But that's a different story. I would like to know if she took care of that baby. Maybe she didn't want it. maybe, maybe, maybe. If she is mental someone should be living with her. We need more information.