Respected Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

I understand both sides of this issue.

I live rural, I love it, and I hate when the farms get cut up (the Amish are the worst for doing that). I've seen so much land around us get developed, and I don't like it.

But....

You can't tell people what to do with land they buy. 

I feel the answer is if you want lots of undeveloped area around you, you need to be prepared to buy the land and protect it. 

For us, we tried, but couldn't get lots of it around us as the Amish made sure not to sell to English. And most people can't afford to buy all the land they would like to have around them or preserve from development.

I see it all the time, people who have farmed or had land in their family for generations, but can no longer keep it or choose to take the huge amounts of money to be made by cutting it up or selling off to developers rather than take less to keep it whole with a single buyer who will leave it intact. It's something most people who complain about development would do if they had the offer. 

I've always felt that the answer to less development is to clean up the urban areas we already developed and make them attractive to people to live in, instead of people always looking to get out and create more living spaces. That is happening in some cities, but unfortunately it isn't going to stop development. 

And when you do get areas that develop with regulation and HOA type governing, to keep areas from over developing and preserve space, people either don't want the restrictions, or it is expensive and only affordable to those with high incomes. 

@Mominohio Here we have noticed quite a bit of land has been purchased by Mennonites.  My friends and I ride together often.  I just found out one of our favorite rides will have to be changed because part of the area has been fenced off now.  We had permission to cross through from previous owner but they must've sold it. Never saw a sale sign on it.

I noticed wooded properties are going for $5000 an acre. Back in the 1970s my parents bought 90 acres of woods that had an old farmhouse on it.  It's about 12 miles from where I now live. Thankful they transferred it to us "kids" 20 years ago. We wouldn't want to try affording that now and at least it will stay in our family. 

Honored Contributor

They are overdeveloping so fast about 20 miles north of us, we have a lot of bobcats and coyotes wandering our neighborhood now. We have had a opossum showing up every night at 9pm and flopping over on his side in the middle of our backyard. He snoozes and then leaves around 4 am. We have a creek about 1/2 mile from us and many of the larger wildlife are spotted there during daylight hours. They just seem to be looking for food. So sad. Builders are buying massive acreage that belonged to old farmers and ranchers. Because they have passed on, their younger family members who inherit the land have no interest in what will happen to the land ...they just want the $20 million or highest bidder. Everything is bulldozed flat, then cookie cutter homes are put up within a few weeks...makes me so mad!

Honored Contributor
It is amazing what city councils, commissioners, etc can pull off with no input from the taxpayers when the price is right. Still reeling from a beautiful statue that had been dedicated here by FDR that was taken down and is in a warehouse or storage room somewhere...no opportunity for input from taxpayers at all.
Honored Contributor

One bright spot is our city has developed and invested in more parks and trails.....and improving old ones.....at least that helps save trees and wildlife..... 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”