Super Contributor
All this fuss over a $17 bill verses a $38 mistake. Relax and give it a few days. Your card will be credited. Oh and as others have said, NEVER , let your cc out of your sight! Walk up to the counter and pay it yourself or better yet, for such a small $17 bill, pay cash if at all possible.
Respected Contributor

I'm sorry the OP has taken a lot of heat on this.

From what I've read, the other party had put the credit card owned by the OP's DH into his wallet, so from a security perspective, yes, the card was compromised. That would make me feel distressed, especially since it's going to inconvenience me re the autopays, as it will the OP/her DH.

The owner could have voided the transaction immediately, but instead, elected to let both the charge for the OP's meals and another party's meals sit on the account of the OP's DH. I'd feel at least annoyed, if not angry, at that.

The OP did not mention getting any kind of receipt with a credit noted from the manager. If all the OP has is an oral assurance of a credit at some point, it's understandable that she and/or her DH feel uneasy and yet more distressed about this.

Worst of all, although the waitress who created the problem--but who wasn't properly assisted by management--did the right thing and apologized and returned her tip to the OP/DH, the manager/owner failed to apologize for the incident.

Add to that indifferent food and a long wait time, and I can understand why the OP is steamed. IMO, this whole thing could have been turned around by a proper response by the manager/owner, who completely failed in her duty. Someone recently posted here a question about why employees don't apologize, and I didn't respond to it, but I did think that it's a top-down problem. Look at the United fracas; again, the resistance to providing the appropriate response caused them great problems.

I met with about 15 people for lunch in a hotel recently. The hotel had the option of providing a limited menu, but didn't. We waited nearly an hour after ordering to be served. No one had appetizers, so there were no delays there. When the food arrived, the waitress failed to apologize or account for the delay. The food was not great, and it'll be quite a while before I go there again.

Honored Contributor

@Bri36 wrote:

Credits can take 3 to 5 business days 

@Bri36

going to repeat this.....as a business owner we always tell people to wait three to five business days for a credit to appear on your account. it does not show up immediately on your account like a charge does.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Trusted Contributor

@151949I don't think it is proper to use the word "Holy" in your title.

Esteemed Contributor

@Wiskota wrote:

I have always been advised to NEVER let my card out of sight.  I do not allow the person to take my card.  You should have gone up to the register to pay.  That would have saved you all this hassle.

So you're saying this is her fault??

Most of the restaurants I go to don't have registers.  The server processes the payment, and brings the card, change, whatever back to the table.  There is no register to go to.

This was carelessness on the part of the restaurant.  In no way is it the fault of the OP and her husband.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Oh holy cow!

[ Edited ]

@AngusandBuddhasMom wrote:

This was not done intentionally, the waitress obviously was upset as well. Did you take back your tip? I would never expect to have my meal comp. 

Intentional or not, the manager should have comped their meal.  It was only $17, and would have gone a long way toward creating good will, especially because the credit card issue wasn't the only thing that went wrong.

Most mistakes are not intentional, but that doesn't mean they're okay. This was a pretty serious error (their credit card was given to another customer), and it wouldn't have taken much for the restaurant to at least attempt to smooth things over.  My son owns a restaurant, and for sure the meal would have been comped at the very least.  

Now the OP and her husband will not only never go back, but will also tell friends about their experience, which likely means loss of more customers.  It's not good business practice to handle it the way this business did.

Respected Contributor

@noodleann wrote:

I'm sorry the OP has taken a lot of heat on this.

From what I've read, the other party had put the credit card owned by the OP's DH into his wallet, so from a security perspective, yes, the card was compromised. That would make me feel distressed, especially since it's going to inconvenience me re the autopays, as it will the OP/her DH.

The owner could have voided the transaction immediately, but instead, elected to let both the charge for the OP's meals and another party's meals sit on the account of the OP's DH. I'd feel at least annoyed, if not angry, at that.

The OP did not mention getting any kind of receipt with a credit noted from the manager. If all the OP has is an oral assurance of a credit at some point, it's understandable that she and/or her DH feel uneasy and yet more distressed about this.

Worst of all, although the waitress who created the problem--but who wasn't properly assisted by management--did the right thing and apologized and returned her tip to the OP/DH, the manager/owner failed to apologize for the incident.

Add to that indifferent food and a long wait time, and I can understand why the OP is steamed. IMO, this whole thing could have been turned around by a proper response by the manager/owner, who completely failed in her duty. Someone recently posted here a question about why employees don't apologize, and I didn't respond to it, but I did think that it's a top-down problem. Look at the United fracas; again, the resistance to providing the appropriate response caused them great problems.

I met with about 15 people for lunch in a hotel recently. The hotel had the option of providing a limited menu, but didn't. We waited nearly an hour after ordering to be served. No one had appetizers, so there were no delays there. When the food arrived, the waitress failed to apologize or account for the delay. The food was not great, and it'll be quite a while before I go there again.

@Excellent post @noodleann and ITA. The server did the right thing, management could have and should have made right, but did not. This had to be a very aggravating experience for the OP.

From a security perspective, everyone can lambaste me all they want.... but having been a victim of identity theft, I might have been so uneasy about the whole deal, I would have closed and reopened my CC. When it comes to my personal finances, I don't like mistakes.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NYC Susan wrote:

@AngusandBuddhasMom wrote:

This was not done intentionally, the waitress obviously was upset as well. Did you take back your tip? I would never expect to have my meal comp. 

Intentional or not, the manager should have comped their meal.  It was only $17, and would have gone a long way toward creating good will, especially because the credit card issue wasn't the only thing that went wrong.

Most mistakes are not intentional, but that doesn't mean they're okay. This was a pretty serious error (their credit card was given to another customer), and it wouldn't have taken much for the restaurant to at least attempt to smooth things over.  My son owns a restaurant, and for sure the meal would have been comped at the very least.  

Now the OP and her husband will not only never go back, but will also tell friends about their experience, which likely means loss of more customers.  It's not good business practice to handle it the way this business did.

My brother and family own a business and yes we comp and apologize even when we know we are not at fault. But and this where I disagree, we don't know what really went on and from the replies to other post on this board including mine. I am a bit suspicious about the facts of the story. Compounded by her saying the waitress apologized and gave back her tip. (Which I would have refused, the op has been asked several times if she did refuse and has not answered the question. So I bet she took it.) She also refuses to be satisfied that a credit went through. All credits can take up to 5 days. This happened yesterday so in real time she is demanding credit. So she expects the world to stop for her and her alone. 

Replies have also generated the questions why did you not ask them to void the sale and redo it? If you were so sure you were charged and were not getting your money back. Again no answer.

So while I understand being upset she refuses any help but to demand blood and the need to ruin a new business without any regard to anyone else. As for the guy putting away his card we again do not know the sequence. Was he talking and distracted? He gave back the card automatically. He didn't flee the restaurant" because his master plan of taking the op's card had been discovered"

So no meal comp just because the op feels the world owes her is not automatic even if she is a retired nurse. Having to deal with in her eyes a lowly waitress and business owner.

Btw, I have had meals comp because of things that are out of the waiters hands or un-forseen by the restaurant. I have always taken that as a chance to give the waiter a nice tip. Unless you have had to wait on the public you don't know how horrible otherwise seemly nice people can be. I don't believe in doling out judgment on a person having to work for tips.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My DH went to the restaurant this morning at 7AM as soon as they opened. The owner was there and he spoke to her about the CC company saying no credit had been requested for the other table's bill. She argued with my DH and he insisted they call the rep at the CC company who was handling this. She was told by him that there would absolutely be a pending credit showing on their computer if she had indeed successfully put one thru. By now she was yelling at my husband & the poor guy on the phone that she doesn't have time to deal with his petty problem.  So as it stands now the CC company is not going to pay her for that disputed amount and so we will not be charged. And we absolutely will never go back to this restaurant.And, yes, we will tell everyone about our experience there. In my DH's opinion this woman is not really competent to own a restaurant. 

And to those who think $48 is nothing and we are making a big deal of nothing - well good for you - $48 is not nothing to us.And we don't have $48 to just throw away.

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC inappropriate