Honored Contributor

Re: Oh goodness another multiple shooting in Maryland

[ Edited ]

@bathina  Because, if the articles I've read are correct, he used a shotgun NOT a handgun. You don't need a permit for a shotgun. No permit needed, no background check. You can walk into any store and purchase one. Had he OWNED a handgun LEGALLY, he would have had to give it (them) up.

EDITED to add:  This is for the state of Maryland where I live. I am also a gun owner, so I'm very familiar with the laws of my state.

Respected Contributor

@cherry wrote:

@bathina  how do you know this is the same gun? It is very easy to buy a gun, right off the street. If he didn't commit a crime with a gun, he might have still been able to keep it.

I don't know if the gun laws are standardized.  but I think not. Each state probably makes their own decision about their gun laws

Hi @cherry,

I don't know if he had the gun in his possession all this time. But you have pointed out the problem with guns in this country. Easy to buy a gun off the street. No standardized laws from state to state. Crazy, violent, dangerous people allowed to own firearms, public safety be damned.

Respected Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

No, we can't prosecute someone until after they commit the crime, but we CAN do something about limiting their access to deadly weapons so they can't commit the crime in the first plac

What a novel idea!

Respected Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

@bathina  Because, if the articles I've read are correct, he used a shotgun NOT a handgun. You don't need a permit for a shotgun. No permit needed, no background check. You can walk into any store and purchase one. Had he OWNED a handgun LEGALLY, he would have had to give it (them) up.

EDITED to add:  This is for the state of Maryland where I live. I am also a gun owner, so I'm very familiar with the laws of my state.

I would think this law needs to be looked at. A shotgun is a gun, just like a handgun. Manufactured and used for the sole purpose of killing. No one should be able to purchase a killing instrument without at least a background check.

Respected Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

@Isobel Archer wrote:

So it appears that he had a defamation suit against the paper and lost.  This is quite different than all the speculation that this was something different.  

I really wish people would wait for the facts before going off with their own narrative.

@Isobel Archer

Actually not so different.  It was speculated that people are being told the media is awful, and untruthful, and that one should take matters into their own hands; and perhaps someone did.

Try again.  Officials told NBC News that Ramos once filed a defamation suit against the Gazette in 2012 for a column it published in 2011 about a guilty plea he entered in a criminal harassment case. The claim was dismissed, however, on account of Ramos not having any evidence.

He has apparently believed this paper was "awful and untruthful" since 2011. 

Exactly. His grievance was clearly identified as his personal conflict with the Gazette from years ago. Some posters are trying to make it political.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@bathina  Maryland is one of 5 states in the country that has the strictest laws on the book for gun ownership. Many (not me) would say they are TOO strict. There have been many laws introduced to include long-guns as needing a licence but never ever have there been enough votes to even get it on any ballot. We're a blue state..blue as you can get but even House Representatives don't see it as being necessary. Will that change? Doubt it. 

Considering that 95%+ of gun violence is caused by stolen handguns the state isn't looking to go after long-guns. 

Honored Contributor

RIFLES & SHOTGUNS          HANDGUNS

Permit to PurchaseNoYes
Registration of FirearmsNoYes
Licensing of OwnersNoYes
Permit to CarryNoYes

maryland gun laws...... yes, this is disturbing to say the least.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

Permit to PurchaseNoYes
Licensing of OwnersNoYes
Permit to CarryNoYes

True, but at least we HAVE laws on the books for handguns. Other states have NOTHING. Research as to WHY long-guns are handled this way. 

But hey, let's over look all of  that and just come down on guns in general. Same old, same old. I'm out. 

Respected Contributor

@Silver Lining wrote:

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

@Isobel Archer wrote:

So it appears that he had a defamation suit against the paper and lost.  This is quite different than all the speculation that this was something different.  

I really wish people would wait for the facts before going off with their own narrative.

@Isobel Archer

Actually not so different.  It was speculated that people are being told the media is awful, and untruthful, and that one should take matters into their own hands; and perhaps someone did.

Try again.  Officials told NBC News that Ramos once filed a defamation suit against the Gazette in 2012 for a column it published in 2011 about a guilty plea he entered in a criminal harassment case. The claim was dismissed, however, on account of Ramos not having any evidence.

He has apparently believed this paper was "awful and untruthful" since 2011. 

Exactly. His grievance was clearly identified as his personal conflict with the Gazette from years ago. Some posters are trying to make it political.

Journalists are in the cross hairs of crazy people as a result of the current climate and the ratcheting up of hatred toward them. Wonder why he did this now and not 6 years back when the paper wrote the story on his stalking of a former classmate? 

Honored Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

Permit to PurchaseNoYes
Licensing of OwnersNoYes
Permit to CarryNoYes

True, but at least we HAVE laws on the books for handguns. Other states have NOTHING. Research as to WHY long-guns are handled this way. 

But hey, let's over look all of  that and just come down on guns in general. Same old, same old. I'm out. 

There is no "but"! The discussion is about MARYLAND!

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson