Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819   OMG!  For about the past month and a half I've had a 'thing' for oatmeal...oatmeal (say it again!) oatmeal!

I can't get enough of it.  Lately, I've slowed down with it.

Boy!  It sure must stick to the ribs because when I leave a little in the bowl, well, I really have to scrub that @@$ bowl like crazy to clean it!

So, I am back to reading the labels on everything.  I almost went crazy reading the labels and I had to stop (hours in the store put an end to label reading).

But I saw that the oatmeal in the little packages had a lot of sodium in it...so I bought the one in the 'tub'.

I haven't cooked it yet (it's still supposed to be 'quick').

I left a tiny bit in the bowl, not in milk just a few pieces and my cat licked it.  My daughter had a fit and said I should not do that.

I didn't 'give' the cat oatmeal..he came upon it.

I'm trying to eat more.  My Drs keep telling me I don't eat enough and that's why I'm fat.  They say when I go all day and not eat, when I do eat my body stores what I eat.

I understand all of that because a friend used to be a personal trainer.  He'd eat 6 or more meals a day before he'd go to the beach with us.  This was to speed up his metabolism.

My Drs keep saying my metabolism is zip..nothing.  Ha!

Anyway, oatmeal eaters of the world unite..!  We know what's a' happen'!

Trusted Contributor

@Annabellethecat66  I just have to say I adore your spirit!  Thank you for sharing it!

Respected Contributor

I had steel cut instant oatmeal and toast for dinner tonight.  Very good and satisfying.

Honored Contributor

We have a Zojirushi rice maker that makes it on delay over night.  And does rice and quinoa as well! 

Trusted Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

We have a Zojirushi rice maker that makes it on delay over night.  And does rice and quinoa as well! 

@Sooner 

What model of rice maker do you have?  I've seen people rave about these, went out on the website and don't know which model to look at.  Thank you!

Regular Contributor

I eat oatmel five days a week.  I mix it with All-Bran, cinnamon and almonds.  It sure does keep me regular and I'm 79.  Wednesday is pancakes and sausges and Sunday is bacon and eggs.Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I buy whole grain oats (rolled extra thick), rinse them then soak a batch in water overnight in the fridge. In the morning I drain them and scoop out a portion, add fruit and sweeten with stevia....sometimes add yogurt.

Honored Contributor
Crystal Oats ...I remember that brand from my Grandmas house...she had little juice glasses from the oatmeal package. I buy regular Quaker Oats...not the quick cooking. DH loves oatmeal....I eat it just once in a while. For DH, I mix the oats with water and 1 tsp dark brown sugar, nuke for four minutes. I cook mine the same way minus the brown sugar; I add banana slices or a tiny bit of brown sugar.
Honored Contributor

@Misplaced Parisian wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@Sooner 

What model of rice maker do you have?  I've seen people rave about these, went out on the website and don't know which model to look at.  Thank you!

@Misplaced Parisian We have an expensive one (light brown) that we have had for a long time, then bought this smaller black one because it was small, less expensive, and had settings for steel cut oats and quinoa and some other things.  Can't remember the model number, but it is small and black and I think we paid about $114 for it from Amazon.

Some of their rice cookers are made in Japan, but the little black one is from China as I remember and it works fine for us!  Hope that help! We have had a rice cooker for ages and use it a lot. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Anonymous032819  I love oatmeal NOW. I hated it as a kid when my mom made it for us for kids. It was runny. After I got married my mother in law made it and ~ OMG ~ what a difference. Thick and hearty. That's how I've made it for over 40 years and eat oats to this day. 

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein