Esteemed Contributor

Re: 🔪🤕 OUCH! Need advice

I did something like this with a pruning tool and went to urgent care (my was longer).  They cleaned it up, wrapped gauze and put on a splint.  These seem to reattach OK but need be kept dry for several days.

Then the nurse asked what color of wrap I wanted and since it was “tall man” I went with neon.  Fun times at work the next week!

Honored Contributor

I would leave the skin in place; rinse twice a day with a solution of 3 parts water to 1 part peroxide, apply Bacitracin and cover with a small gauze pad and gauze wrap.  

When it heals enough to be considered a dry wound, and has a scab, then I would feel comfortable covering with a bandaid when you have to go out in public.  Bandaids hold moisture close to the wound, and that is not what you want in healing this cut.   

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sidsmom Oh ouch!  My son sliced the top of his foot from the fin of his surf board a few days ago.  The lifeguard recommended liquid skin and butterfly bandages.  He had a dr appt for another issue.....anyway the doc told him that the wound was lookin good and healing.

it's worked!  He's out surfing right now!

Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G
Honored Contributor

Trim off what you comfortably can of the loose skin, use a triple antibiotic oinntment (it's better than neosporin) and cover with a butterfly style bandage. 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Regular Contributor

Think about liquid bandage to seal the cut, protect it and allow it to heal

Honored Contributor

don’t cut it off.

dh cut his nose at work a year or two ago. A flap was sliced, but not off. He pasted the flap back on. The nose healed

just leave things be

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom  I did the very same thing you did.  It was pretty hairy looking.  I just pushed the flap of skin back into place and bandaged it tight.  The flap grew back onto my skin. My cut was very deep...skin and flesh.

Do not cut anything.  That is a good way to introduce bacteria or other germs into the wound.  Your own skin is the best covering.

i used a triple antibiotic cream and kept the wound clean and dry and covered....keep hand out of water.

Esteemed Contributor

Knives freak me out. I can't watch those cooking shows on the Food Network - I cringe when they're cutting and chopping. I'm cringing just typing this.

Respected Contributor

Keep the bandage covered with a finger cot for extra protection.

Super Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

I would leave the skin in place; rinse twice a day with a solution of 3 parts water to 1 part peroxide, apply Bacitracin and cover with a small gauze pad and gauze wrap.  

When it heals enough to be considered a dry wound, and has a scab, then I would feel comfortable covering with a bandaid when you have to go out in public.  Bandaids hold moisture close to the wound, and that is not what you want in healing this cut.   

Actually, hydrogen peroxide is not recommended for wound care anymore. It can damage tissue. I’m a nurse practitioner and would recommend cleaning with soap and water once a day and put a bulky bandage on it for a few days. Be careful with Neosporin, some people have a local reaction. We use Bracitracin. Good luck! I sliced off a good chunk of my pinky with a mandolin a few years ago, so,I feel your pain!