Esteemed Contributor

OT High School Graduation gift amount?

Haven't been to one in a long time we would be giving money.  The graduate is my 2nd cousin.   My cousin her mom is having it catered  under a tent very fancy from what she said.  We were thinking $50.  For family weddings we usually do $100 or $150 depending on how close website to,them as you aren't always close to all realities.  Hence the saying"you can choose your friends, but your stuck with you family". Lol

Honored Contributor

Re: OT High School Graduation gift amount?

$50 sounds good.  I'm not sure how "fancy" the party will be but with a catered meal and with two of us going, I'd probably give $100.

Honored Contributor

2nd cousin?

I don't even know mine.

Give what you can afford.

50 or  under.

Respected Contributor

$50 sounds fine. The gift should not be based on the cost of the party, give from the heart.

Honored Contributor

$50 sounds fine.

Respected Contributor

I think your "gift" should cover both your meals, and the graduation gift...thinking at least $100...

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@AKgirl2 wrote:

I think your "gift" should cover both your meals, and the graduation gift...thinking at least $100...

I have never heard of the "cover your meals" until I started posting here, way back when.

Crazy talk. (not you, just the idea)

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I sent $100 to a nephew whose party I could't attend.  Gave $200 to a closer relative, whose party I did go to...and the parents went all out.  A great meal and a nice night.

Yes, it does matter if you're close to the graduate, and can attend the festivities.

Respected Contributor

@missy1 wrote:

@AKgirl2 wrote:

I have never heard of the "cover your meals" until I started posting here, way back when.

This was back in 70's, but my dad would always say you've got to at least cover your dinner(s) plus the gift...just how we rolled, and I do the sameSmiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@AKgirl2 wrote:

@missy1 wrote:

@AKgirl2 wrote:

This was back in 70's, but my dad would always say you've got to at least cover your dinner(s) plus the gift...just how we rolled, and I do the sameSmiley Happy

My understanding is that this has always been the rule of thumb for wedding gifts.  I wouldn't consider the same for a HS graduation.  But then again, the HS graduation parties I've been to have all be at the family's home in the form of an open house.