Honored Contributor

Re: ORTHOTIC FROM A PODIATRIST FOR OVER PRONATION

thanks moonchilde-now I'm hoping it will be covered.

CATS ARE HEAVEN SENT
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@catlover wrote:

thank you john-my appointment is for tuesday-will report back............the orthotic is $450 and not covered by insurance unless you have diabetes-

Why would something like this not be covered?????

Both my husband and I have orthotics which were covered by our insurance.  Neither of us is diabetic.

Esteemed Contributor

@catlover wrote:

John-I'm not following-why would anyone get an orthotic if it wasn't a medical necessity?

catlover,

Your guess is as good as mine. There are some who may know someone that got orthotics and it helped them. Sooo! If it helped them?

'Bout all I can say about "WHY" some people do or think certain ways.

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

My problem stems from - so I am told -- tibial tendon dysfunction.  I work in an office every day so wearing sneakers is really not the type of shoe I normally wear to work.  In fact, I rarely wore sneakers -- at all -- unless I was walking for exercise.  

A lot of sneakers have a very stiff, hard back to them which really irritates my heel.  Then you add the orthotics and a brace and a sock and stuff that all in the shoe.  It's really trying!!!  

I know some people who buy insoles at the drug store for added support like Dr. Scholls.  But they don't have any really issues.  As far as I know, if you have problems, you need to get orthotics that are prescribed by a doctor.  

I was told my new orthotics I am getting will be over $400.00, which I must pay for as I am starting a new deductible period.  I would think though that most insurances should cover this as it is a prescribed medical expense.  

I totally agree that if you have issues in your feet and ankles that it throws the alignment off in your back, spine, etc.  I am having a lot of issues with my back, my legs, etc.  It's just really a mess!!!  

I wish you the best of luck in getting your problem straightened out!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin