Honored Contributor

All the hosts with Marie seem to talk about is eating Nutrisystem junk food...pizza, Mac and cheese, pretzel bars and cookies....this does not train a poor eater how to eat right. Once on their own they will eat the same junk food that Nutrisystem fed them and gain the weight back.  The "plan" keeps the dieter on a yo yo diet....once off the diet... They fail and have to return to the plan $$$$$$$ again eating the same food that put the weight back on them. 

That  is not setting someone up for success.....just failure.  It is called The Fat Trap.

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

All the hosts with Marie seem to talk about is eating Nutrisystem junk food...pizza, Mac and cheese, pretzel bars and cookies....this does not train a poor eater how to eat right. Once on their own they will eat the same junk food that Nutrisystem fed them and gain the weight back.  The "plan" keeps the dieter on a yo yo diet....once off the diet... They fail and have to return to the plan $$$$$$$ again eating the same food that put the weight back on them. 

That  is not setting someone up for success.....just failure.  It is called The Fat Trap.

This may be true for some, I myself can't speak for everyone. However, Nutrisystem helped me with portion control. I was actually surprised how the lesson stuck. The food isn't great, but for me , it was a very helpful system.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Trusted Contributor

I tried Marie's and another one they had before her. I'm not a gourmet eater but I would have to pass on the food. I would have to say though it definitely teaches you portion control.

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaidenAlthough I didn't like the Nutrisystem foods - worst for me, were the salty and sweet snacks - I did lose weight on them. Still -  not buying them again.

However, I also do not think that eating a healthy diet for months on end does all that much more for life training.  I did WW years and years ago - probably before some reading this were born.  I ate well, I felt good, I kept the weight off for a while -- and then....I went right back to my old bad habits.

Years later I did exactly the same thing -  ate well on WW, lost well, keot it off for a while --  and then ... you know the rest of the story.

Addictive personalities are different from non-addictive whether it's food, nicotine, alcohol, etc.   Keeping what you're addicted to at bay requires constant attention. Eating well for a year or two doesn't necessarily work to effect a life change.  I've kept some of the good habits, but I fight every day for the rest.

Honored Contributor

I think Nutrisystem's theory on the types of food it offers is that you don't have to give up your favorite foods to lose weight - you just need to eat healtheir  (much more protein, much les fat) versions of them.  You don't need to give up carbs, you just need to eat the good carbs -- and in small portions.   The theory is that because you aren't depriving yourself of a lot of your favorite foods (there are a lot of chocolate choice on NS for example), you can stick with it long enough to lose what you need to lose because you aren't being deprived, and learn portion control too.  

I am a diabetic and I was interested in nutri-system and they said it was not for diabetics, but Marie said something tonight about nutrisystemD...so I am confused

Honored Contributor

Re: Nutrisystem

[ Edited ]

@LadyDi1253 wrote:

I am a diabetic and I was interested in nutri-system and they said it was not for diabetics, but Marie said something tonight about nutrisystemD...so I am confused

@LadyDi1253   NutrisystemD is the program for diabetics.  There is very liittle difference between that and the regular NS program.

If you want to check it out, Wal Mart Supercenters sells I can't remember if it's five-day or seven-day trial boxes of it in both regular NS and NS D.  You can compare the two boxes (I have) and you'll see there are very few differences in the meals provided in the packages.

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I don't usually watch any of the Nutrisystem shows but today had the tv on while doing a project at home...and when i started actually listening...all i kept hearing was about sweets and junk type food that you can eat on the program.  I was surprised......and also thought it really wasn't showing  a new kind or healthier way of eating....

i congratulate those who have tried the NS program and have lost weight and have managed to keep it off and have learned portion control.

Honored Contributor

Yes, if the portion control teaches you how to do it on your own, that is good. But, I wonder how many people go off the plan after losing the weight and keep it off for good?  Do they really learn how to eat right and to prepare healthy meals that are not out of a box or bag?

Respected Contributor

Also keep in mind that the food is embellished to look appealing. The food is not want it seems.