Honored Contributor

Nurses, are pregnant women wearing masks in the delivery room?

[ Edited ]

I'm thinking the answer will be a no because a mask would block access to the mouth for the medical team, but I'm asking for my niece. If masks are worn, would N95 mask be too uncomfortable to wear?

Valued Contributor

Re: Nurses; are pregnant women wearing masks in the delivery room?

I know a a family friend who said she wore a surgical mask that looped around her ears.

I would think that your relative would need to ask the doctors or the hopsital where she will deliver.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Oh, for Heaven's sake.  You have to ask for your niece?  Can't she talk to her doctor?  That's who can answer her questions.  Different hospitals may have different procedures. Once she has the answers, she can let you know.

Honored Contributor

@Cats3000 wrote:

Oh, for Heaven's sake.  You have to ask for your niece?  Can't she talk to her doctor?  That's who can answer her questions.  Different hospitals may have different procedures. Once she has the answers, she can let you know.

I'm sure doctors are letting their patients know exactly what is required and expected at the birth.  I would hope so. 

Respected Contributor

The OP was just asking a question. No need to jump all over her for it. 

Honored Contributor

@Cats3000 wrote:

@Cats3000, even in text there are ways to be friendly and helpful. Why not just suggest that her niece check with the hospital instead of sounding so rude?

And really, it's fairly easy to see the reason she posted here. She wanted to share.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mindy D wrote:

I'm thinking the answer will be a no because it blocks access to the mouth for the medical team, but I'm asking for my niece. If masks are worn, would N95 mask be too uncomfortable to wear. 

How long until her delivery? It might be possible, depending on where she lives, for her to be tested right before she delivers, making it a bit safer for those who will care for her. And that could mean no need to wear a mask or she could just wear a basic surgical mask that they could lift or change out if needed.

Edited to add: From what I've heard and read, the N95 would probably be too uncomfortable for that situation where she needs to breathe deeply and it would likely get bumped or dislodged at some point, making the extra protection not that helpful.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

You know going by what I remember giving birth I can't imainge wearing a mask...however maybe it's different now but I would be pulling that thing off to get some air!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Cats3000 wrote:

@Cats3000 My niece is deaf. She asked about masks for the hospital during her last visit but she forgot to ask about the delivery room. She's going to ask at her next visit but she was just curious when we texted last night.

Occasional Contributor

Re: Nurses, are pregnant women wearing masks in the delivery room?

I am a labor and delivery room nurse near Pittsburgh.  Please tell your sweet niece not to worry about masks.  Her most important job is to have a wonderful healthy baby.  Our job is to make sure that is what happens.  Her Drs. will make sure everything goes well for her and her nurses are there to make her experience happy and safe along with the Drs.  I can tell you that as far asI have seen over the past weeks no one in the delivery room wore N95 mask.  It is possible they might test for Covid but that would be at the Drs. discretion.  Best wishes on a healthy baby!