Respected Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

I understand parents are being called to account in these cases, but I hope admissions personnel and school officials are as well.  From the sound of things, they are just as corrupt.

Yes the universities are complicit as well but they are in the business of MAKING MONEY.

This is why a great football player will get accepted (to several schools) over a hard working, over acheiver, straight A student.

Honored Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

@ValuSkr wrote:

I understand parents are being called to account in these cases, but I hope admissions personnel and school officials are as well.  From the sound of things, they are just as corrupt.

Yes the universities are complicit as well but they are in the business of MAKING MONEY.

This is why a great football player will get accepted (to several schools) over a hard working, over acheiver, straight A student.

Well. most colleges and universities are not-for-profit institutions, notwithstanding the fact that they're allowed (without income tax consequence) to make oodles of money on basketball and football.  In my opinion, schools should not give athletic scholarships. Instead they should return to their original charter, which is academics.  They could still have intercollegiate sports, but it would not be the money-maker it is today. 

Let the NCAA transform itself into an institution separate from schools that runs minor league systems for the NBA and NFL.  Its teams would be based at colleges and universities, which would be compensated for use of their facilities. Players would be paid professionals and not students.

Maybe for-profit schools, like DeVry, Strayer, and University of Phoenix, should field athletic teams .......

Honored Contributor

In my book, the NCAA is the heart of so much corruption in  colleges. It is a joke.

Poor kids get in to play a sport.  They are destitute and have no money for things kids need at school.  Maybe no car to get around, clothes, etc.  They are restricted to what they can make, which is a joke, unlike other students who get good jobs and internships.

NCAA makes a gazillion dollars off these kids and they don't get a whiff of anything unless they are good enough to go pro and DON'T get hurt.

Don't get me started on the NCAA!!!!!   

Honored Contributor

Re: Now it's Yale

[ Edited ]

On no level are college admissions a level playing field. Exceptions are made for athletes, minority 'recruitment' and on and on and on... To me, there is a very real difference between a wealthy benefactor making a legitimate contribution benefiting the school and its students that then might hold sway when their little darling applies and a parent bribing officials or falsifying accomplishments in order for their offspring to gain admission. While none of the scenarios is, perhaps, ideal, I can live with legitimate contributions, but not with outright corruption... It would seem that what we're hearing so much about in recent weeks is outright corruption...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

Exactly...anyone who thought that admissions was based solely on academic merit has been very naive.  Be it legacies, athletics or parental donations, these things have factored into the admissions process since the beginning of colleges and universities in this country.

Trusted Contributor
These rich parents should be ashamed that their kids are too dumb to get into a university. So many deserving kids out there that should get in. As usual, just because you have a lot of money, does not me you are smart. Parents and kids!
Esteemed Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

LOTS of kids come in under the admission standards.  It's done all the time even if money doesn't change hands.  It makes scams like this easier. 

Also, who is getting paid to give them the grades to stay in school and graduate?

------------------- 

I have been wondering the same thing!  If these children couldn't get in to a school on their own, how could they possibly stay in school???

Honored Contributor

They probably require intense one-on-one tutoring.

Honored Contributor

Re: Now it's Yale

[ Edited ]

While I was at university, my brother (who is a year older them me) would tutor football students in Math. Nearly all the football players would major in Business.  Certainly not physical education which requires Physiology.  

Also there is a difference between anyone coming to school to play football and scholar/athletes (where Ivy League would accept).  Nearly all of these are not professional  sports.  Track & Field/Swimming/rowing etc.  Ivy leagues wants the super achievers in mental and physical disciplines.  In short, they want a super person.

Nearly all schools are not for profit.  Ivy League needs endowments to survive.  Public universities get money from the state.  There is in fighting sometimes from each individual college to get their share or more money.  Say, Technology and Natural Science would get more then Liberal Arts. The UK elite schools, Cambridge & Oxford are famous for that.  We have a Honors college at our university that also competes for money with other colleges..  I work at a university and I see this all the time. 

Also I should emphasis that most of the scandal are not about SAT/entrance exams, but the embellishments of their admission form over sports, volunteering, etc.  It's next to impossible now to get someone else to sit your SAT's.  Maybe years ago it was easy.  Extremely difficult now.  There was a long standing joke about one of the Kennedys (think it was Ted Kennedy) that he hired someone to sit SAT's for entrance to Harvard.  What was not a joke, was that he hired someone to take a Spanish exam.  He was said to have bragged about it.

Honored Contributor

I think blame also needs to be put on the schools that tacitly encourage this.