Respected Contributor

Re: Now Or Then

[ Edited ]

The NY TIMES had an interesting article this week, since the 1980's show "LA LAW" is now streaming again on HULU...(ran 1986 to 1994).

They interviewed "Gen Z'" folks on what they thought of the show ( which, if you didn't watch, was set in LA at a law firm, and at the time of it's run,was very popular soap-operish law office show...."

Anyway...it's telling....and it shows how fast people forget how not so long ago it was that we did NOT have the technology of today...

The article is called  ":Gen Z-ers and Millenials React to LA LAW"...

Here's a sample of the article quotes of Gen z and Millenial viewers watching the show now for the first time...:

"JW It’s hard to imagine what people did in their offices when there’s no computer on the desk.

LL People running around with manila envelopes and little slips of paper that say who called? Literally unimaginable. Too cute for words! Did people realize how adorable they were being?"

"SH So much blonde hair. Blonde hair everywhere.

LL And in such different arrangements!

MP Did people age worse back then? Or maybe they just dressed old."

"LL It’s an artifact. A trapped-in-amber, predictably problematic, genuinely funny artifact, one that I’m leaning toward giving a few more episodes. Even if only to see more memos being jotted down for people “leaving word”!"

They also refer to car phones, acceptable driving while buzzed on booze, and indoor smoking, "water cooler talk"...all shown within the first three episodes....!

Good poignant article.

The late 80s were NOT that long ago people!!!!  I was in my 30s when this show was on....)(I'm 67 born 1956).

See if you can find it and read it!

Or...ask a friend to pick up a copy of the NY Times at the news vendor on the street, and run off a copy of the article on the Zerox machine when they go into the office tomorrow!!!

Honored Contributor

@DrakesMomma wrote:

My second grade teacher told my mom that she thought I was born 40 years old.  I've never really felt I fit in with my generation. 

@DrakesMomma 

That's exactly what my husband used to say to me!  He even said "40 years" too.

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because going off topic

Honored Contributor

Then, I knew where everything was.

Valued Contributor
Then, for sure!
Valued Contributor
One thing that I’m constantly shaking my head about these days is the attention people seem to crave with ridiculously expensive and elaborate baby showers, bridal showers, gender reveal and especially weddings! I remember when many receptions were held at rented halls. I’m flabbergasted by the amount people spend nowadays, including my own daughter.
Valued Contributor

Then. In fact, I worry about where this country along with this whole world is going. I'm not sorry I won't be around to see it. And sure, maybe my parents and previous generations had similar feelings about the future. But where we are now is concerning. Insanity on so many levels, including the highest level, is becoming the norm.

Yep, that's how I feel. 

Respected Contributor

I grew up in the 50's, high school/college in the 60's.  DH and I often talk about what good lives we had as children back then and feel sorry for this generation of kids.

No technology and texting.  We actully talked wtth our friends.  Looked forward to the phone ringing and racing to see if someone was calling us.

Television shows were entertaining and not full of the outrageous reality TV of today.  We could leave the house and play outdoors all day, biking riding, swimming, playing with our friends and parents didn't have to worry what was happening to us because there were no drug epidemics for ruining our young unknowing lives.  We had fun out to teenage dances, roller rinks and ice rinks for skating .

A good thing now is the medical advances.

I can retate to the scenes mentioned in LA Law.  There were no Xerox machines, compuers, etc.  People actually had to relate to each other.  Office work was sure different back then.  Harder in some ways,  easy in others.  You could make a business call for info and actually have a person to could help you answer the pnone instead of going thru menu after menu before you might actually reach someone.  

On the whole I prefer back then, but I would do some things differently if I knew then what I know now.

Valued Contributor

@Natureluvr wrote:
One thing that I’m constantly shaking my head about these days is the attention people seem to crave with ridiculously expensive and elaborate baby showers, bridal showers, gender reveal and especially weddings! I remember when many receptions were held at rented halls. I’m flabbergasted by the amount people spend nowadays, including my own daughter.

After my cousin had a wedding with twelve bridesmaids, we went to the mayor in the next town and got married, took 5 minutes.

It was lovely!

Esteemed Contributor

Now --

Love the internet and cell phones.