Respected Contributor

November 22, 1963

[ Edited ]

For those of you around in 1963.  Do you remember  what you were doing or where you were when JFK was assassinated?  

Trusted Contributor

I was in typing class.  Everything came to a sudden halt...it was like time stood still and also like the entire country was united as one in stunned shock & grief.  It is permanently etched in my mind forever.  Hard to believe it was so long ago.

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Respected Contributor

I remember sitting in my high chair and worrying that the Russians were going to come and take over the US, even though I had no idea what that really meant!!

I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend, til death, your right to say it
Esteemed Contributor

I was in third grade and we came back from lunch our teacher told us what happened and sent us home. Really didn't understand it all that much back then. 

Honored Contributor

I had just graduated from college in August and was working at Lit Bros.Department Store in suburban Philly prior to being sworn into the USAF.  We heard the news on one of the TVs on the floor.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

In my mind, I recall being in the first class after lunch when we were told about President Kennedy being assasinated.  But we were on the east coast and actually it would have been around 2:00 PM.  

Anyway, our teacher for that class was a jokster and when he said the president was shot, we thought he was kidding. Bad joke, but we couldn't imagine it was true.  Soon other teachers came into the classroom in tears and we knew it was real.  

I remember sitting in front of our tv with my dad that entire weekend including Monday when the funeral took place.  I cried nonstop and when little John John saluted, my dad burst into tears.  

Those of us who are old enough to remember that day will never forget. 

Trusted Contributor

I was in my junior year French class. The Mother Superior came to each classroom to give us the news. The anouncement for the whole school came over the intercom after that. The nun teaching the class -- a petite usually happy soul -- dissolved totally in tears and, of course, we all started to cry as well.

We were a military family living in the DC area at the time. My parents and the two oldest boys went to the rotunda to view the president's casket. I stayed home to babysit the two youngest and watched on TV. It was a grey day and it seemed as if the whole world was in mourning.

The funeral was on a sunny day and we watched it on TV. My mother and I were watching tv news coverage when Jack Ruby shot Lee Harvey Oswald in real time. No 30-second delay then. I remember that the broadcast was in black & white.

Respected Contributor

Was in a Catholic grader school. They took us to Church to pray. We had the day of the funeral off from school. Seems like the world has slid downhill in so many ways since then. We were so innocent and felt so safe all the time.

So different from the youth of today.

Esteemed Contributor

i was in 8th grade collecting milk money......

Honored Contributor

I was in French class when it was announced over the PA that he'd been shot. Before school was out that day, we knew he was dead. I was crushed. Walking home that day, it was so quiet.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan