Honored Contributor

Re: Nothing works anymore

[ Edited ]

@gardenman wrote:

@Spurt 

Yeah, the charging electric cars issue is largely ignored. A Hyundai Ioniq 5 for example uses a 73 KWH battery. The average daily electricity consumption for a US home is around 30 KWH. If you charge an electric car each day, you're adding that KWH to your existing KWH. For an Ioniq 5 that would be an additional 73 KWH. You're now consuming 103 KWH daily. That means electricity suppliers will need to more than triple their output. And they're barely meeting electrical demand now.

California has 31+ million registered cars. Replace them all with electric cars and they'd need to more than triple their electricity output. The only way to do that is by building a lot of new power plants and they'd pretty much all have to be nuclear power plants. The regulatory hurdles to build new power plants would take longer to overcome than the time between now and 2035 when their all-electric car rules take effect.

It just won't work. The math doesn't work. There's no way to make it work. Anyone with an ounce of commonsense looking at the numbers would say, "This won't work." It can't work. And aren't we all supposed to be dead in something like eight years from climate change, so why make rules for 2035? We'll all be dead by then if you listen to the fearmongers.

@gardenman 

NOTHING MAKES SENSE!!!! The California people havent even come near to their 2035 mandate on banning the sale of new fossil few cars and already they issued a daily caution telling folks not to charge their cars as they are having energy issues....🙄

8/31/22 NEWS NATIONNOW--7:33AM EDT

Californians have been asked not to charge their electric vehicles between the hours of 4 p.m. to 9 p.m. while California grapples with an energy shortage as a heat wave bears down on the state. California also asked its residents to turn up their thermostats and turn off their lights. A statewide grid emergency was called in California and officials warned residents that blackouts could be possible during the energy shortfall.

No wonder Musk and Bezos are getting rockets ready to start a colony and settle on Mars...🚀..it wont be climate change that does the planet in, its THE CLOWNS RUNNING THE SHOW!!! 🤡

Common Sense Tombstone – Gil Michelini

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor
I was so disgusted last year with LLBean at Christmas time. I purchased a pull sled with handle for a seven month old baby. Luckily, I shop early

The sled came in about 5 days but the handle didn’t fit where the holes were. I had it sent to the baby’s grandfather as they live in the same town as the child. So he calls CS & they said they’d send a proper handle. The handle arrives but doesn’t fit. I know it was our fault but with Christmas growing near, he decides to drill new holes and attached the handle. He didn’t inspect it totally upon receipt so when he turned it over the whole bottom was broken. I was afraid they would not take it back as they could claim he did it when he drilled. He did take a picture of the box which was all broken and no packing. They’re customer service was very nice and efficient and took it back & apologized. They would send another sled.

Sled number two arrives & the handle doesn’t fit, but the sled was not broken. The box was all smashed, no packing so we send a picture & he called CS again. This agent said the problem was the screws & she’d have them send the proper hardware. A week goes by and no screws. He calls, they send another handle but it was a shovel handle. He calls again & a handle arrives and it finally fits. This was two days before Christmas by now.

It was grandpa’s busy season as he works for FedEx & had to go to UPS to return sled number one, again for the handles so I felt very bad as it was my gift.

After all this they send me a customer service survey. I had no issue with customer service as they were responsive and very nice but quite surprised at the shoddy workmanship & poor packaging. I have given this sled to other children and it was well made & around for years. I’ve always received nice merchandise from LLBean. They did issue a $50 credit spontaneously. I’d be hesitant to order from them again. We never did get the hardware

It was made in Canada.
Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

it wont be climate change that does the planet in, its THE CLOWNS RUNNING THE SHOW!!! 🤡

This... From top to bottom and from sea to shining sea...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Valued Contributor

So true!

I cringe at the thought of having to replace appliances, etc.

Granddaddy could fix anything.  Therefore, he and Granny bought things only once.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have an update to my new Whirlpool refrigerator problem!  The new freezer door arrived and a new appointment was scheduled for the technician to install it.  Two weeks ago, I notice the problem with the ice and frost, that was forming on the inside of the freezer door, had stopped.  But, since the door was on the way, I decided to let the technician make the call, whether or not he wanted to put the new door on,  This morning, he was suppose to show up but called to cancel because he said he needed another person to come with him to help hold the door. I told him what the situation was and that I thought the problem had corrected itself.  I asked him to please contact Whirlpool about picking up the new freezer door.  It was still in the box, unopened.  He said they do not return parts and I could do with it what I wanted!  I was now stuck with a huge box with a freezer door in it, in my dining room!  I called Whirlpool and, sure  enough, they are not interested in getting it back.  I decided to hold onto the extra door in case I have the problem again.  I had my youngest son help me and we carried it down to the basement.  Just out of curiosity, I googled the cost of said freezer door.  The least retail cost I found was $901.00 but if I ordered from Whirlpool it would cost $1500.00! (I paid $1700 for the whole refrigerator at Lowes!) Crazy!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I hear you, MoJo.  My mom had a dishwasher for the first time in 1958 and it was still working when she moved away 20+ years later.   My current dishwasher hasn't worked in two years, and it was purchased new, a Kenmore from Sears, about 5 years ago.

Having been forced into washing dishes for a while, b/c I am not going to buy another one that doesn't work (and because of CoVid), I've realized I don't really mind washing dishes.  Life is full of surprises.

According to an appliance repairman I really liked (he retired), my dryer, which I bought in 1992. is one of the best appliances of all time among the machines he repaired. He replaced its thermostat (it was tumbling the clothes, but with no heat).

He replaced the thermostat 12 years ago for a very small fee, and it is still going strong.  So I feel as if I got the last immortal appliance.  I think the key is that it is _simple._   It is homely and plain looking. No bells and whistles, it just does the job.  If it overheats (once in a while a garment will get tangled on a little hook near the door), it automatically shuts down.  Its thermostat is totally reliable. 

I have a newish Maytag clothes washer, and it is also doing a good job so far; it was purchased in the same year as the junky dishwasher but I can tell it has settled in as a boon. That darn dishwasher was always a little skittish. Smiley Happy