Valued Contributor

Not sure how to word this but need info

[ Edited ]

My husband is 100 % disabled, going to an appointment at the local VA hospital is not happening currently, how much of a pain in the  is it to move from one location to another without messing up his medical care or his financial supplement he receives? The VA doesn't own him so can we list our home for sale, and move and take up at a different VA hospital in the future without any problems being created?

Super Contributor

Re: Not sure how to word this but need info

I would ask that question of the VA.  Considering it is all connected and a government facility, I would think moving wouldn't be an issue except getting set up with new doctors etc, just like anywhere else.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

The veteran service organizations like t h e DAV and American Legion should be able to advise you.  You might also contact you county's  veteran's service officer.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I am guessing he has Medicare and a supplement as well as being a Vet?

If so, you can move anywhere within the USA and receive medical services in a Vet facility or any facility of your choosing.

Super Contributor

The care access issues may be consistent across the nation.  Perhaps you could go to va dot oig (medical) and you can read reports about the different Cboc's & hospitals.  They adequately report the care quality.  The federal financial component won't change....which is Veterans Benefits Administration (VBA) versus medical care which is Veterans Health Administration (VHA).  State disability, if he gets one, can be different.  He'd need to check with state or states.  If you need answers the DVA groups are quite helpful.  Or you can discuss with a Patient Advocate or social worker.

Valued Contributor

Thank you everyone of you!

Honored Contributor

I see no reason why you couldn't use the VA center closest to your new home.  They would just transfer his records.  

This is what happened with my father and he moved to another state.  

Honored Contributor

Didn't read all yet, but I might add, to check what the income taxes are like in the state you may be inquiring about.  Wonder about a visit to an attorney too, for just in case scenario. 

While checking cover all your bases.  Good to be proactive.

Honored Contributor

@gulf coast girl,

My husband is also totally disabled thru the VA, and receives all medical care thru the medical center closest to us here in WV.   He has also received care at a larger instate facility, and 2 in Virginia.   

The VA computer systems are linked, and your husband can walk into any medical center, present his ID card, and be treated.   

If you are seriously considering moving, I would definitely contact your bank for help in making sure the direct deposit of his monthly benefit is transferred without issue.   

Our local VA continues to see patients for their routine appointments, but only the veteran is allowed in the building.  My husband has to wear a mask into the screening tent, where he is screened, then given a new disposable mask to wear inside the facility.   His appointments are written on a sticker that must remain on his jacket until he leaves.   My husband has had lab, X-ray, ortho and clinic appointments since September.   

Depending on your husbands circumstances, he may want to inquire about VA Home Based Care Services, where a licensed provider comes to your home every few months for medical exams.  All of his conditions would be monitored by the providers he is assigned to, and he would be instructed on what to do when he needs medical help after hours.   The purpose of home based care is to help veterans with serious and/or multiple health issues, or mobility issues, avoid exposure risks inside the clinic environment.   

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gulf coast girl wrote:

My husband is 100 % disabled, going to an appointment at the local VA hospital is not happening currently, how much of a pain in the  is it to move from one location to another without messing up his medical care or his financial supplement he receives? The VA doesn't own him so can we list our home for sale, and move and take up at a different VA hospital in the future without any problems being created?

@gulf coast girl @Yes, your husband would be eligible at any VA, especially if his 100% disability is service connected. VA benefits are good in every state. If he is receiving VA disability benefits that's can go with him wherever he goes in the states. I'm speaking as the daughter of a disabled vet.