Honored Contributor

Re: Not even if they dropped me in by helicopter

@esmerelda - I don't want to post a link because I don't know what's allowed and  what isn't as far as side ads but if you google The Man Behind the Times Square Ball the story will come up.  It's interesting.

Trusted Contributor

@SXMGirl wrote:

@gidgetgh, I will be joining you. No way would I stand there all day with those crowds.  I prefer to be in my own home, can watch it on tv if I am still awake, and have food and a clean bathroom.  My needs are few.

I like what you said. "my needs are few"-in the upcoming year, I'd like to further reduce my "needs" Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CelticCrafter wrote:

and once you get in there, if  you do have to leave to go to the bathroom, that's it - you're not getting back in.

Not my idea of fun, it never was something I ever wanted to see in person.

I won't watch it on TV.  As my daughter and I said, if you've seen one ball drop you've seen them all.

@CelticCrafter  If you have to go to the bathroom, you’re pretty much out of luck. The one thing I don’t like about NYC is the lack of public bathrooms. Instead of being the city that never sleeps, it should be the city that never pees!!!

If I had a bathroom I could access, I’d go to NYC for New Years Eve once just to say I’d done it.

Honored Contributor

Not remotely interested and while at one time I might have thought it would be nice to say I'd been, retrospect is a wonderful thing... New Years Eve is, for me, one of those totally over-rated holidays, complete with forced joviality and, if you buy into the hype, crowds, noise and 'fake' fun... Just another set-up to potentially feel disappointed if yours didn't pass muster... I'll pass... 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

It's not my idea of a good time either but for totally different reasons.  The biggest being the cold.  I've lived in MA all my life, cold and winter are in my DNA but standing out in the frigid cold on New Years Eve with a bunch drunk tourists waiting for...well...nothing and pretending that something monumental has happened is crazy to me.  I like the idea of ringing in the New Year as part of crowd but I would have to be on some balmy tropical beach (Think Fiji or Bali); bright moon, fire works, the feel soft sand on my bare feet. Fire works!   I actually did the Times Sq. thing many years ago when I was right out of college.  My girlfriends and I ignored our parents dire warnings and we drove to down.  It wasn't as big a thing as it is now but it was wild and crazy and bizarre and we lost one of our  friends in the crowd for a whole and that put a  big damper on things.  I remember telling people how exciting and cool it was but truthfully,  I had a lousy time and was sorry I went.  I think at almost 60, I've done the New Year's Eve thing enough.  Big parties, small parties,  expensive midnight dinners at trend restaurants, small gatherings of close friends in private homes.  When my girls were teens, we'd all go into Boston for First Night.  So many places to go and things to see.  The thrill is gone now.  This year, hubby has work on Jan 1st and it's year ending reports for me so I'll be working a long day on 12/31.  It will be Chinese food at home and Netflix.  We might not even be awake at midnight.  

Honored Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

I wouldn’t even consider being in the NY crowd.  

We have a local ball drop; smaller crowd, hometown feel, and I still don’t go.   

@RedTop- we have one in Atlanta also. It’s actually a peach drop. I wouldn’t go to that one either. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

I wont even go to our city's New Year's Eve Downtown Celebration .... and nowhere near the NYC crowds............

Image result for san antonio new years eve 2018

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gidgetgh

Went to TS a long time ago with my sis and her daughters.  It was something she really wanted to do.

We took the train into the City from NJ (where she lives) and....had dinner, and stood around for hours waiting for the "ball" to drop.

All I can say is it is HIGHLY overrated.

Someone mentioned the lack of bathrooms.  Yeh, so, people just pee anywhere.  That was a real treat.  In between getting sick where they stood.   

Boring, mind numbing waste of time.  Within a few minutes of the ball and confetti dropping, they are herding you out of there like cattle.

I would never do it again.

Honored Contributor

@Texasmouse wrote:

@gidgetgh what you said!

I'll add to that what DH says... "What happens if you're in that crowd and you suddenly urgently need to go to the restroom?" 

It's like any festival or big event in a big city.  You don't drink or eat much that day, you use the bathrooms before you go out.  If nature calls; you go into a bar or restaurant and you buy something so that you can use their bathrooms.  Which is always a bummer because if you arrived early and had a great spot.....you are going to lose it when you take that potty break.  People know how their bodies work.  If you know you are the type who has to "go" often or if the cold makes you "go"..... you would  not do an outdoor event like that.

Honored Contributor

No thanks.

I stopped watching it. As soon as the ball drops, they cut it to news. I want to see the aftermath,