Respected Contributor

Re: Not counting days at work, but days at home, do you eat meals by the clock?

I have dinner ready at the same time every night.  Other than dinner, everyone is on their own.

Honored Contributor

Yes, we do continue to eat our evening meal by the clock.

Honored Contributor

It all depends on what we are doing.  If we are at home, DH gets hungry about the same time he does when he's working during the week.  For me it just depends.

We eat dinner at various times. Sometimes I make dinner right when I get home from work which means we are eating around 6:00ish, maybe a little earlier depending on what I'm making.

Some nights if DH has something going on, we eat later.  If it's a night I got to the gym, I don't eat until after 7:00.  I make dinner for DH, then I go to the gym and I'm there over an hour then I come home and eat dinner.        

Honored Contributor

I live alone and still cook and eat by the clock.  I also do not eat in between meals.  No snacking at all.  If I have to skip lunch than I just wait until my reg. dinner time.   Exercising is too hard to suffer through to use it up on snacking on the run (besides I want dessert).  I cook for myself and stay away from takeout.  Cut the recipe in half and use the freezer.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

I eat when I'm hungry and if dinner happens to be ready by 4:30 then that's when I'll eat it.

I'll also don't follow rules when it comes to when I eat what.  If there happens to be a leftover and I want it for breakfast then that's what I will have.  I have been known to eat chicken parm or fried rice for breakfast.

The children crack up that I eat leftovers or prepare non-traditional foods (this morning I made shrimp scampi) for breakfast.......I've tried to explain to them that breakfast is breaking the fast from sleeping all night and any food can be breakfast but they insist it has got to be eggs, cereal,etc.....

Honored Contributor

@alicedee wrote:

Definitely off the clock for me.  When my kids were small we were on more of a routine, though.

This is me too! My husband still works and needs meals on a schedule before he heads off for second shift, but I eat when the mood strikes me now. 

It is very hard to get used to, not having family meals on the table now that kiddo is grown and gone. A little sad, and a little freeing, all at the same time.

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

I am a schedule person. And my husband is the same. We eat breakfast usually around 9:00, lunch around 1:00, and dinner at six.That's our current schedule, but of course it has varied throughout our marriage.

We both grew up in families that always dinner together. We did the same with our daughter. Even now, my husband and I sit down for dinner.

I think that doing so whenever possible can be very beneficial, as long as things remain civil during the meal. Unfortunately, dinnertime for my family growing up was an hour of tension and drama accompanied by screaming matches.

I was determined to get it right with my family. :-)

Let me amend that to say that I tried to get it right. It sounds much less sanctimonious. I am an imperfect parent.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

I am a schedule person. And my husband is the same. We eat breakfast usually around 9:00, lunch around 1:00, and dinner at six.That's our current schedule, but of course it has varied throughout our marriage.

We both grew up in families that always dinner together. We did the same with our daughter. Even now, my husband and I sit down for dinner.

I think that doing so whenever possible can be very beneficial, as long as things remain civil during the meal. Unfortunately, dinnertime for my family growing up was an hour of tension and drama accompanied by screaming matches.

I was determined to get it right with my family. :-)

Let me amend that to say that I tried to get it right. It sounds much less sanctimonious. I am an imperfect parent.

@suzyQ3--------The fact that you can admit that you are an imperfect parent makes you a perfect parent......I bet you did get it right.

Honored Contributor

lunch is at 12 noon (in that time frame) and dinner is at 6pm (in that time frame).

lunch may go 1/2 hour early or 1/2 hour later depending on if  doctor or other type of appoint has to be gone too. you we work with appointment times.

same with dinner. it can go 1/2 hour each way depending if we have to go somewhere or arriving home later from something.

Respected Contributor

@Allegheny wrote:

If it was just me, I would eat whenever....but I have a husband.  We've only eat twice daily.  A late breakfast then dinner at 4:30.  

I'm not sure what having a husband has to do with it.  I have one too but we seldom eat at the same time.   We both eat when we are hungry and that is seldom at the same time.  We also have different PT work/play schedules.   We never have breakfast or lunch at the same time except sometimes on Sunday.   We keep food in the pantry and fridge and both eat what we want , when we want it.   He is self sufficient and happy this way and in fact, really doesn't like a normal prepared meal.   Works for us.