Respected Contributor

Great info!

Honored Contributor

@JaneMarple wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

Northern Lights may make rare appearance across United States. 

On Wednesday evening, thanks to a very powerful sun storm, folks living as far south as Ohio and Indiana will likely catch an exceedingly rare glimpse of the Northern Lights. 

As Space.com explained, on Labor Day the sun "blasted out a huge cloud of superheated plasma known as a coronal mass ejection (CME)." The CME, which is harmless to humans, is expected to reach Earth overnight on Wednesday, as it is traveling at the breakneck speed of about 200 miles per second. When it does reach our atmosphere it will trigger an incredibly strong "geomagnetic storm," which happens to cause the Earth's auroras to light up.

Unfortunately I won't be able to see it here in Massachusetts. Woman Sad

@JaneMarple  The Northern Lights were actually visible in MA in 1972 or 1973 one night.

I also thought this was going to be about some TSV with sheets and almost didn't open the thread.  LOL

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

We saw a little sliver once in Margate New Jersey of all places! DH and DD were playing with a telescope and called me out to see it. It was visible to the naked eye-beautiful electric blues and purple. It was a crisp, cold night. I joked about it being the Northern Lights....found out, the next day, that's what they were!

@Kachina624, did you get to see them? I'm envious!

Poodlepet2

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624  I've lived in NE Ohio all my life and have never seen them.  Cat Sad  Sadly, it started pouring at my place around 6:00pm on Wednesday, and it's still doing that as I type this today...........waaaaaah.

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

@Poodlepet2  @blonde  I'm too far South to see them but it has always been on my bucket list.  Once when we lived near Philly, my dad saw them very early in the morning while on his way to work.  I've been to Alaska twice but they weren't visible while we were there. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Since we had a full moon last night with clear skies, it would have been impossible to see even if it did reach down to us...oh well Smiley Happy