Respected Contributor

We heard a bird pecking in our chimney.  Called the mason who built the fireplace, he came but couldn't get the small door inside the fireplace open.

By chance I mentioned this to the man who was working on our fence at that time.  He's a big, strong guy.  He got the door open and out came a Northern Flicker!  We have a cathedral ceiling in the living room and before he could grab it, the bird flew up to the dormer windows.

Had to get a tall ladder and once again, the fence guy climbed all the way up, got the bird into a small net and released it outside.  Whew! 

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@DiAnne wrote:

I like birds except for those flickers.  They make holes in our wood siding, try to break into our attics to live.  Actually I not too fond of the crows either.

@DiAnne  Yes and Yes... 

HATE CROWS... the crows are LOUD and they attack the robins and other sweet birds and their nests to kill the babies and such to feedthemselves and their young... I had a wonderful nest of baby robins last spring... and watched the crows attack the nest and kill every baby robin... I also find bits and pieces of bird legs AND BEAKS ETC... and such in my bird bath from crows cleaning the kill ( other birds that they murdered....) to feed to their young. Mother Nature is not kind....

@SeaMaiden 

We have a pair of eagles that live on Lake Washington (about 1 block away) and they raid the crow nests.  It will suddenly get really loud outside and you will see 15 -20 crows chasing a large eagle away.  Quite a sight to see.  

Valued Contributor

I've seen the same thing. One day I hear a sudden, loud commotion with lots of screeching, and it was crows chasing a bald eagle away.