Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@On It  We bought a hall tree with shoe storage bench when we lived in Germany, and still use it today. It's not this exactly but similar. Hope you find what you need (and you do not need a doctor lol)

547876D4-E5FB-44FC-9B55-598722834069.jpeg

Respected Contributor

Re: No Shoes in the House

[ Edited ]

@On It   I don't wear my shoes in the house either. The few times I've gone out recently, I've always come back in through the kitchen garage door. I keep my slippers there and a bottle of spray cleaner. I put paper towel down, clean the bottoms of my shoes, & let them dry before putting them away.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have several doors going out ,two in front,one in back ,i have washable shoes i use near by ,that i change into when i go out, slippers,or  slip ons for in house. Not about covid,just shoes get dirty, wipe my dogs feet also.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@On It wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

I don't remove shoes.  My carpets are steam cleaned and my kitchen and bath floors mopped with lysol in the water.

COVID travels through the air, not on the ground.

Why don't you call your doctor and see if shoe removal is necessary.

I am not doing this for COVID. Floors in grocery stores, sidewalks, big box stores, doctor's offices are teeming with germs. I have just decided to be more vigilant about tracking anything into my home. 

Then you'll need to remove your pants too.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mj12  Wow! That is perfect! Thank you.

Esteemed Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

@On It wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

I don't remove shoes.  My carpets are steam cleaned and my kitchen and bath floors mopped with lysol in the water.

COVID travels through the air, not on the ground.

Why don't you call your doctor and see if shoe removal is necessary.

I am not doing this for COVID. Floors in grocery stores, sidewalks, big box stores, doctor's offices are teeming with germs. I have just decided to be more vigilant about tracking anything into my home. 

Then you'll need to remove your pants too.

I do. They go straight to the wash.

Honored Contributor

Oh here we go!   

It's been a long time since there has been a no shoes in the house thread.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

For me, I just wipe my shoes off on my front door mat when I come in .....Now I will say if I'm lounging I do take my shoes off and put on my "fluffy socks".....

My sister has always had a no shoes policy in her house 

Whenever anyone visits shoes are taken off and she has a mat by the front door closet where everyone puts their shoes....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't wear shoes in the house and I ask my guests to take theirs off as well. I keep them in a basket next to the door or outside if they are wet or snowy. It keeps the rugs clean and also cuts down on their wear and tear. It has nothing to do with covid; think about what's on the sidewalks. People spit, animals (and sometimes humans) defecate. I'd rather not track that stuff into my house. 

Esteemed Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

Sidewalks, streets, parking lots are rained on, snowed on, and then the sun heats and disinfects them. Swimming pools, where people are barefoot are a good place to acquire athletes foot. Not everyone has attractive feet, much less a recent pedicure.

Telling a guest to remove their shoes upon entering is no different from requiring them to wash their hands at the door, both presume the person unclean and is insulting,  impolite.

I agree with you @occasionalrain I would not ask a guest to remove their shoes. My family does not wear their shoes in the house for comfort, and not for cleanliness. You mentioned many reason why not to remove, and all are valid. You have to keep in mind your feet are grinding against pavement, or concrete, so that also helps eliminate anything that collects on the bottom of the shoe.

Thankfully my family, or friends do not require removal of shoes. If they did I just wouldn't go there. It is way over the top for me.