Honored Contributor

@beckyb1012 wrote:

@shopper since 1989 wrote:

And "no problem" is being replaced by "no worries"

Jean

@shoppersince1989 I have noticed that and I just cannot stand it.  What does it mean exactly?  They are not worried about me or am I not supposed to worry about them?  I do not care for the no problem language but the no worries annoys me more.

Simple politeness is so easy, easily taught and easily applied. 

@beckyb1012  Exactly Additionally, who said I was every "worried."?  Thanking someone doesn't mean I was worried about anything in the first place.

Esteemed Contributor

My son tells me, not necessary mom, no problem. It doesn't bother me. 

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

When I thank someone whose response is "no problem" I say, "is 'you're welcome' not even in our vocabulary any more?"  because I am sincerely starting to wonder that.  It seems that an entire generation of people  is now responding "no problem" to a thank you.    Most of the time I didn't think whatever I said would be a problem anyway.

Please bring back "you are welcome" to our vocabulary - I really think it is disappearing.  Smiley Sad

Do you mean you actually say that to the person who said "No problem" @Pearlee

Respected Contributor

I have no problem with "no problem," and use it myself.

"You are welcome" is stilted. I also am not "welcoming" someone to ask more favors of me, since that's often the context for the thanks. Minimizing the trouble the favor caused me with "no problem" or sometimes "not a problem" is one thing, but I'm not laying out the "welcome" mat for more. They are not "welcome." "No problem" is a coda to an event, not a relationship builder like "you are welcome," so I actually prefer it.

Our language is a living thing. It changes. "No problem" isn't hurting anyone or anything. Nema problema!

Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

When I thank someone whose response is "no problem" I say, "is 'you're welcome' not even in our vocabulary any more?"  because I am sincerely starting to wonder that.  It seems that an entire generation of people  is now responding "no problem" to a thank you.    Most of the time I didn't think whatever I said would be a problem anyway.

Please bring back "you are welcome" to our vocabulary - I really think it is disappearing.  Smiley Sad

Do you mean you actually say that to the person who said "No problem" @Pearlee

@Noel7  Yes.

Honored Contributor

It's a colloquialism, there are many of them in the English language.

Words and phrases can have a denotation or a connotation.

Honored Contributor

This is why I stay confused all the time.

I find myself frequently replying with "is that a no??" or "is that a yes?""

< sigh >

@Pearlee wrote:

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it is inappropriate

Honored Contributor

They say the English language is a living language because it is constantly changing.

No worries and no problem are both common.  New phrases have always been with us, all generations come up with them.

Respected Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

They say the English language is a living language because it is constantly changing.

No worries and no problem are both common.  New phrases have always been with us, all generations come up with them.

Yes. I sense from a lot of the posts here, some people don't want anything to change at all in their lifetime. Puzzling.