Trusted Contributor

Re: No Jail Time for Varsity Blues Parents?

The people that have take a plea will probably do a small amount of jail time. Maybe a sentence of a month and they'll serve a 2-3 weeks. It's normal to only serve I think 2/3 of your sentence in federal prison if you behave. And the Feds don't like t just hit people with fines when the crime is money related. It's really no punishment at all. I suppose they could do some sort of probation that's seriously annoying to them instead of jail. Like constant check in or something but I doubt it. I think they are likely to spend a few nights in jail.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@4kitties wrote:

I do not think they will get any punishment at all.  Not like if my husband or I had done something like this for our daughters.  I think there is a two tiered justice system.  The rich always seem to get off with no problem.  😫😫😫😫😫

I agree, it sure seems that way. Celebs and the politicos seem to "skate(ain't talking ice skating)" on things I would be locked up for doing. Plenty of examples, with facts, I could give, but!

Fines do what to the wealthy?  Prison time  in a real prison just might wake them up. Really sad when it's easy to see the "scales of justice" not level.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

Pqfan's scholarship suggestion is brilliant.

Honored Contributor

@Johnnyeager wrote:

Next week starts the first round of sentencing hearings for parents in Operation Varsity Blues, Felicity Huffman among them.

The sentencing judge in many of these cases will first hold a special hearing to determine basically the answer to this question:  Did the parents cause any financial harm to anyone, and if not, is any jail time appropriate?"

The federal prosecutors oppose this hearing and are still seeking prison sentences.  There is concern that light sentencing in the first three cases next week send the wrong message.

When this case broke, many posters hear said that because of status and wealth no parents would see any time in jail.

I disagreed, asserting that no jail time would signal to the public that status wealth and privilege do indeed amount to special consideration, under the law.  

And, if these parents who plead guilty receive sentences with no jail time, how will the parents facing trial feel?  

Stay tuned.  Felicity's sentencing will certainly make all media headlines.

@Johnnyeager 

Keep in mind that most jails are seriously overcrowded, so the judge may have to get creative with sentencing if "there's no room at the inn ...... "

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

On Friday the final sentencing recommendation documents were filed with Judge Indira Talwani in advance of hearings.  Felicity Huffman's attorneys filed two dozen letters of support for Huffman, including from her husband and former costar Eva Longoria.

The prosecution seems to have softened slightly with a compromise.  They now seek 1 month of jail time for the actress, down from the previous recommendation of 4 months.  The prosecution still seeks jail time for the other parents as well.

The prosecution was scathing in its assessment of Huffman's behavior, paralleling what many posters here have said:

Huffman's conduct was deliberate and manifestly criminal: it was wrong, she knew it was wrong, and she actively participated in manipulating her daughter's guidance counselor, the testing services and the schools to which her daughter applied...Her efforts weren't driven by need or desperation, but by a sense of entitlement, or at least moral cluelessness, facilitated by wealth and insularity.

Honored Contributor

@Johnnyeager wrote:

On Friday the final sentencing recommendation documents were filed with Judge Indira Talwani in advance of hearings.  Felicity Huffman's attorneys filed two dozen letters of support for Huffman, including from her husband and former costar Eva Longoria.

The prosecution seems to have softened slightly with a compromise.  They now seek 1 month of jail time for the actress, down from the previous recommendation of 4 months.  The prosecution still seeks jail time for the other parents as well.

The prosecution was scathing in its assessment of Huffman's behavior, paralleling what many posters here have said:

Huffman's conduct was deliberate and manifestly criminal: it was wrong, she knew it was wrong, and she actively participated in manipulating her daughter's guidance counselor, the testing services and the schools to which her daughter applied...Her efforts weren't driven by need or desperation, but by a sense of entitlement, or at least moral cluelessness, facilitated by wealth and insularity.

Well, they need the JUDGE to feel the same way. It ain't going to happen, sadly. Personally, I think Lori and her behavior outside the court in the beginning should be evidence of the "no big deal" attitude all possessed. Show those pictures and video in court of her smiling, laughing, signing autographs...yeah, she feels OH so bad. 

I have a bridge to sell......

Honored Contributor

The letter Felicity wrote to the judge was a smart move; she has at least shown some remorse. Loughlin and her husband still come across as arrogant and confident they will just be given a slap on the wrist because of who they are. Lori Loughlin has alienated most of her fans and her daughters...and her career went down the tube almost overnight...hasn’t she learned anything from that’s? Contrary to popular belief, ignorance is not the best defense. If she tries to change her plea, independent from her hubby’s, it will be interesting to see how that goes over with the court.
Honored Contributor

Yes, the university officials are part of the problem. This entire process only exists because school officials have been willing and able to have their palms greased for decades, and people like Singer have been willing to work the system for big money.
Honored Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:
The letter Felicity wrote to the judge was a smart move; she has at least shown some remorse. Loughlin and her husband still come across as arrogant and confident they will just be given a slap on the wrist because of who they are. Lori Loughlin has alienated most of her fans and her daughters...and her career went down the tube almost overnight...hasn’t she learned anything from that’s? Contrary to popular belief, ignorance is not the best defense. If she tries to change her plea, independent from her hubby’s, it will be interesting to see how that goes over with the court.

@lovesrecess 

Well, the one thing we DON'T know is how much of this attitude came from their lawyers ... possibly saying "not a big deal, we'll get you off with a fine and slap on the hand" or some such nonsence.

Hey, keep in mind that OJ murdered two people and didn't do any jail time .....   juries aren't ever predictable.

Esteemed Contributor

The Federal Probation Department's report on Operation Varsity Blues sentencing recommends that no jail time be served by any parents since there was no victim and no losses.  No money was lost due to the actions of the parents.

The prosecution may have made a mistake in pressing that the schools and testing services were victims.  Have they suffered any financial loss yet?  Schools are being sued and the testing services are altering procedures and operations.

The real victims could in fact be students who were not admitted due to spots being taken from them fraudulently.

The Probation Department also points out that there was no actual or intended loss to any "victim".   Tuesday's hearing between Judge Indira Talwani and the lead prosecutor is reported to have been heated, as she pressed the prosecutor to justify and explain what financial losses occurred.

I'm thinking more and more that the sentencing judges may agree with the Probation Department's analysis and not the prosecution.

Thoughts?